Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiralling and could use some logic.

Dvt fear after surgery

hi everyone, I've just returned home from having my appendix out in hospital I was only in two days and had flight socks on but im scared of resting at home because I keep getting a random throbbing in my right leg which is kinda making me worried I have dvt as people post surgery are more likely to have it. Has anyone experienced this?

Re: Dvt fear after surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Aleman200 View Post
    hi everyone, I've just returned home from having my appendix out in hospital I was only in two days and had flight socks on but im scared of resting at home because I keep getting a random throbbing in my right leg which is kinda making me worried I have dvt as people post surgery are more likely to have it. Has anyone experienced this?
    Well it good its all done and your on the mend l think your probably overthinking it, l did when l had my op if it gets any worse get intouch with out of hours gp I'm sure you be fine just try and relax xx

best wishes xx

Thank you Mrs Stress I ended up going to the out of hours gp who felt around looked at my chest and listened to it. And she was happy that its fine and that DVTs and PEs don't really happen to people who have had minor operations like an appendectomy because im up and about which keeps the blood flowing. Rather than if I was bed ridden for weeks on end. Very reassuring.

Oh that's great news now you can recuperate hopefully without that worry, glad you went had it checked rather than just letting it manifest and get worse take care xx

best wishes xx

It's highly unlikely that your fear will eventuate. I've just had a hip replacement so are far more likely to gt this than you. Dr gave me a blood thinner to help prevent this from happening.

1. We did the hard months in lockdown abiding by rules for you to get here.
    2. No one gives a shit if you prefer white towels or hotels with sea views.
    You're in quarantine for fourteen days ...obey the rules.

I'm sorry to hear that WiseMonkey, I wish you a speedy recovery and a safe one. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Though not so much a HA thing I am annoyed about not having an appetite right now. Hahah

So I googled my operation a little bit because I wanted to know what to expect side-effect wise for a while. And of course I came across Abdominal Adhesions. I spiralled, I'm ashamed of it, and I hate it. But I followed so many links to how it could do nasty things like causing small bowel obstructions and things and..just...I hate it. :( Ringing the GP tomorrow to ask when i can start my Anxiety medication after my operation.

It does say that most people get them and never know they even exist but.. HA will only let me focus on the ones that cause horrible issues. Gah. Even my girlfriend (god bless her) tells me "How many people have that same operation every year and never have these issues?" I know she's right and i need to think logically but I'm sat here thinking "Well Appendicitis got me at 29 so i'm sure something else is next".

Spiralling and could use some logic.

As you can probably tell I'm having what I would call the month from hell so far. And my HA is Spiralling. I'm trying to control it.

I had my appendix out via laparascopy with no complications before it even burst about 4 days ago and I honestly thought something real in the medical world would scare away the Health Anxiety, but if anything it made it worse.

In the past four days since being home I have driven myself into quite the anxious state worrying about abdominal adhesions, with this I went to my Doctors and spoke to no more than two seperate GP's who told me that the majority are harmless and even then I had a surgery type that reduces the chance of them appearing even more.

I'm still feeling kinda bloated, and i'm worried that i'm not urinating properly. Even though i've been told this is normal it's just..freaking me out. And to make it worse? I've completely lost my appetite... :/

I'm taking antibiotics and the discharge paper said take them for three days but I have enough for 7 days, so I asked my GP and they said take it for 7 days. Which made me worried because the Co-amoxiclav is giving me err...the runs shall we say.

I would be taking my Citalopram which I was about to start taking but...if the side effects make my stomach worse maybe I should wait.

I've never had surgery before and there's so much that's scaring me.

I just need a bit of logic really. Even though I know so many people had their appendix out and they're fine now I can't help but think "Well obviously I have to be the one who isn't fine...right?"

I know I'm spiralling and I know I have to hold back the HA dragon but it's tough.
    Last edited by Aleman200; 11-08-20 at 14:02.

Re: Spiralling and could use some logic.

You have to remember that I was eight when I had my appendix out - 48 years ago! - so medical techniques have advanced markedly in that time. I've got a three-inch scar to show for it, and it seemed a not-uncommon thing back in the early 70s.

I vaguely remember the digestive issues at first, but they resolved themselves. Mum bringing in tinned salmon sandwiches on the bus was a favourite

By all means take the anti-biotics for the seven days. Just keep as near as is practical to the bog.

Think about this: the scare stories we read about in papers and the like are when it goes wrong. It is so rare it's deemed newsworthy. Nobody ever writes "twenty surgical procedures were carried out successfully today." I'm scared of surgery too, as I too am one of those people inclined to believe "well, bad things have to happen to someone." Sometimes they do; but again, that doesn't mean that you are pre-ordained to be one of them.

Enjoy putting your feet up, watch some trashy telly or listen to some music and make sure the bog ain't too far away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information