Thread: Mini panic attacks?

Mini panic attacks?

Is there such thing as mini panic attacks and if so is that what this is?

It feels like a sensation in my chest like I suddenly need air and I have to do a big intake of breath.

I've been getting this a lot lately, usually when a worrying thought pops in my head or I'm just feeling anxious or scared in general.

Re: Mini panic attacks?

More likely just a bout of anxiety and not a full blown panic attack as such.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Yeah that would make sense. I have had panic attacks and they are obviously more extreme. This strange sensation in my chest is relatively new, I just feel on edge all the time :(

I have this sometimes too so you're not alone. For me its a like a little worry but not a full blown panic. I can realise that whatever is happening is causing me to panic but I can then focus on something else. When I was having hypnotherapy the person doing it said to imagine a bucket and as little things happen the bucket fills up and it gets to a point where it over flows. These mini panics could be little things adding to your bucket but you are able to overcome them easier than a full panic as your bucket is not fully filled with anxiety. Doing things such as meditation or an activity that you enjoy and decreases your stress is meant to help empty the bucket and relax you.

Hi, yeah I think I have these.. I will just suddenly gasp or get a little shock type thing when I',m feeling on edge/anxious. I think it happens if you have constant low level (or any level!) anxiety happening.

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry22 View Post
    Is there such thing as mini panic attacks and if so is that what this is?

It feels like a sensation in my chest like I suddenly need air and I have to do a big intake of breath.

I've been getting this a lot lately, usually when a worrying thought pops in my head or I'm just feeling anxious or scared in general.
    This isn't a panic attack. Panic attacks are very physical, and exaggerated, response.

However, many panic attacks are triggered by hyperventilation - which is what this symptom is.

Practice some deep breathing every time you are aware of this sensation. Begin by emptying your lungs of air, then take a deep breath in for 4 secs, and hold for 4 secs, then out for 4 secs, then hold for 4 secs and you can adapt this to whatever feels right to you.

There is nothing to fear.

Thread Information