Thread: Caught some lightning last night with my Cannon EOS

Caught some lightning last night with my Cannon EOS

I mentioned before I've gotten into photography. Learning my camera still. Using a 2000D with stock 18-55mm lense. Settings:

ISO: 6400
    Shutter Speed: 1/200
    F-Stop: 4.5

I really struggled to get well lit shots. I had to manually increase the exposure a little post editing. My settings may still be off. I work in manual mode and use mostly the viewfinder as opposed to the LCD. It can be very hard to get the right focus in the dark. I don't use autofocus and shoot in continuous mode.

The high ISO means the images are noticeably grainy. I hate that, but any lower ISO and the images would be even darker than they were. A high shutter speed would mean less light that I can't compensate for... can't increase the ISO, and not much can be done with the f-stop AFAIK.

More light may have blown out the light from the lightning. So I'm a bit confused here.

If any learned photographers lurk here I'd love some advice on getting better images, and some advice on the settings; I feel theres some improvement to be done there.

Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 12-08-20 at 17:38.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Caught some lightning last night with my Cannon EOS

So I got some bits of information gold. If the storm happens again tonight I will try it.

What I need to do is increase the shutter speed to like 30 seconds and use a tripod so it remains steady. Lower the ISO, because more light will be coming through, and focus into infinity to get the right focus. I can see why this would work and you'd catch the entire lightning strike in 1 shot.

I can hear the thunder brewing now so hopefully tonight will be a good one.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

The flashes through Wednesday morning were incredible! I've never seen anything like it so I assume it was because the Perseid shower occurred at the same time and it was cloudy. We had some mild thunder until it really came overhead about 2 hours later. Before then the ground was rumbling as the sky out up like some mad photographer had a flash going endlessly!

We had more thunder tonight which stuck around for hours and some of that flashing but nothing by comparison.

Good luck catching some more. Our forecast says we have more thunder to come through to at least the end of Thursday. But now you will be renamed Stormchaser James

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    The flashes through Wednesday morning were incredible! I've never seen anything like it so I assume it was because the Perseid shower occurred at the same time and it was cloudy. We had some mild thunder until it really came overhead about 2 hours later. Before then the ground was rumbling as the sky out up like some mad photographer had a flash going endlessly!

We had more thunder tonight which stuck around for hours and some of that flashing but nothing by comparison.

Good luck catching some more. Our forecast says we have more thunder to come through to at least the end of Thursday. But now you will be renamed Stormchaser James
    I love your emoji's Terry lmfao. I do love storms, but in the UK we don't have many good ones. If I lived in Tornado alley though I would have so much fun.

We had some more last night but the rain was heavy, and dark clouds, so it wasn't possible to capture anything. I have no rain protection at the minute.

You're right though I have never seen anything like it either. When the sky lights up and you see all the shadows from the clouds it's spectacular.

☪️️

Thread Information