Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling in the heat

Struggling in the heat

I’m surprised that no-one else seems to be posting about the heatwave in the south of the UK. Had to take my dog to the vet this afternoon in 33 degrees and wait outside while she was seen because of Covid. Very uncomfortable because I don’t tolerate sunshine well. At home it’s been a minimum of 28 in the house for nearly a week with the doors and windows closed and curtains drawn. Hasn’t gone down overnight by more than a couple of degrees. I am feeling so unwell now. I‘ve been drinking plenty of water but am hardly peeing presumably because the fluid is just replacing that lost in sweat. I’m hardly eating or sleeping and I just feel sick a lot of the time. In addition I’ve been bitten by a critter on the leg three days ago and the bites are big and red and itchy still. It’s sending my anxiety into overdrive (plus the fact that the dog’s been poorly). Anyone else struggling or is it just me?

Re: Struggling in the heat

No, not just you. I really don't get on well with the hot weather, and I've spent the past few days dripping wet and miserable.

I'm staying hydrated and staying indoors (I had a basal cell carcinoma removed a few years back at a relatively young age), but I can't stand the constant dampness.

Got some relief earlier when I wrapped an ice pack in a towel, then put it behind my neck when I went for a lie down.

Hoping the hot spell breaks soon.

Sounds stupid but I put something really cold on my left wrist. Sounds mental but it seems to cool me down a treat

Same here, i’m on the south east coast & there is normally a lovely sea breeze but for the past week not a puff of wind any where, i really can’t deal with the heat at all, its the nights that are worst for me no matter what i do i can’t cool down. Hopefully cooler days to come��

Cooler days are to come, after tonight....so fear not. Its been really horrible.

Glad it’s not just me! Mind you, I’m talking myself into a panic. I do normally get an allergic reaction to insect bites but these are particularly bad probably because of the heat and my emotional state. But what with the feeling sick and a bit faint and being hot, Dr Google thinks I should be in hospital. I hate health anxiety!

I struggle with the heat too! I hate heat because it makes me weak and shaky, and it makes my fingers twitch from side to side for some reason. I don't know if it's normal to get twitches and tremors in the heat but it drives me bonkers.

I've been doing a lot better with my health anxiety lately but whenever the heat makes me feel like this I tend to have flare ups. It makes me feel better to know it's not just me.

Its been a very hot Summer where I'm at in the States. While I like the summer, the extreme heat (seems like its been in the 90's for months) is not my thing. Frankly, its made it easier to deal with hunkering down during the pandemic as its just been too hot to be outside for long periods of time. Looking forward to the Fall

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Clarrie, try ice cubes on the bites. I got a few too when I went in the garden to cool down.
    Don't like the heat either, just makes my anxiety worse and not sleeping good and all the other things people have said.

I get bad allergic reactions to insect bites and often end up with cellulitis and antibiotics. I have used loratidine- an antihistamine-which you can buy over the counter and it's really helped stop the bites develop as I've used it when I first notice the bite.

Hopefully the worst is over re the heat here. I'm in Surrey and it's been absolutely draining and it makes everything worse because you are literally dragging yourself around all day trying to get things done. At least with the cold you can do something about it but with this heat you just have to endure it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information