This might seem an unusual topic to choose for discussion in these troubled times, but anything that pulls us away from Covid19 for a while can't be all bad. I've included New Zealand too as of course Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy was filmed there.

First of all I'm no expert or even what some call a film buff, but decided to post this after viewing clips of 'Walkabout' on youtube. And no I wasn't looking to ogle Jenny Agutter but while I was there it seemed a shame not to

Seriously though, 'Walkabout' is just one of those Aussie films that is low budget but high quality IMO and a very emotive film, touching on the destruction of Aboriginal culture, the loss of innocence etc as I see it. Combined with the haunting and evocative film score, its a movie that has stayed with me since first seeing it in my early teens.

I also liked 'Black Water', Australia's answer to Jaws, set in the north of the country about a group of tourists taken fishing by a guide when they are systematically hunted down by a sal****er crocodile.

There is one film I can't remember the title of. A couple travel into the wilderness and find an isolated beach, but there is something sinister going on when the local wildlife take exception to the guy shooting any of their number.

Hopefully some of our Antipodean members can elaborate, but it often feels that in the absence of huge budgets, more emphasis is placed on making the very most of what is available.