Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian/New Zealand Films

Australian/New Zealand Films

This might seem an unusual topic to choose for discussion in these troubled times, but anything that pulls us away from Covid19 for a while can't be all bad. I've included New Zealand too as of course Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy was filmed there.

First of all I'm no expert or even what some call a film buff, but decided to post this after viewing clips of 'Walkabout' on youtube. And no I wasn't looking to ogle Jenny Agutter but while I was there it seemed a shame not to

Seriously though, 'Walkabout' is just one of those Aussie films that is low budget but high quality IMO and a very emotive film, touching on the destruction of Aboriginal culture, the loss of innocence etc as I see it. Combined with the haunting and evocative film score, its a movie that has stayed with me since first seeing it in my early teens.

I also liked 'Black Water', Australia's answer to Jaws, set in the north of the country about a group of tourists taken fishing by a guide when they are systematically hunted down by a sal****er crocodile.

There is one film I can't remember the title of. A couple travel into the wilderness and find an isolated beach, but there is something sinister going on when the local wildlife take exception to the guy shooting any of their number.

Hopefully some of our Antipodean members can elaborate, but it often feels that in the absence of huge budgets, more emphasis is placed on making the very most of what is available.

Re: Australian/New Zealand Films

Walkabout, eh? I think some of us will remember that one from our younger years

Wasnt it John Meillon of Crocodile Dundee playing the father?

Some films I can think of:

Crocodile Dundee.
    Mad Max.
    Priscilla Queen Of The Desert.
    Once Were Warriors.
    Pitch Black.
    Bait- a tsunami floods a supermarket and brings some sharks with it.
    Rogue - a boat tour respond to a signal flare but find themselves in a large crocs hunting area.
    Deathgasm - horror movie about two heavy metal band guys who summon a demon through music.
    Black Sheep - horror B movie about some sheep eating people.

I haven't see Black Water but by the sounds of it you might like Rogue which is a good creature feature. I think you've mentioned that film before and enjoyed how it was closer to reality than most of its type. Rogue is a bit more Lake Placid without humour.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 14-08-20 at 04:50.

Blackwater isn't really our answer to jaws as it is about crocs, but you might like The Reef (2010), which is about a great white shark stalking some Aussies.. It is pretty good, I've seen it a few times.

Long Weekend (2008) might be the film you are talking about where a couple find a secluded beach. It's a pretty good movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1098356...nm_flmg_act_20

If you like apocalyptic, you can't go past our Aussie movie called These Final Hours (2013). It is harrowing, but really really good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2268458/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

The Babadook and Wolf Creek are pretty good as well. And as Terry said, Rogue, one of the best croc movies I've seen.

I also like Jindabyne (2006) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382765/

and Adore (2013) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2103267/
    Last edited by ForestGirl; 14-08-20 at 07:20.

What about Animal Kingdom
    Romper Stomper
    Bad Boy Bubby
    The Proposition
    We of The Never Never
    Charlie’s Country
    Mystery Road
    Goldstone
    Chopper
    Lantana
    Samson and Delilah
    Australia

They are only a few of excellent Aussie films

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    What about Animal Kingdom
    Romper Stomper
    Bad Boy Bubby
    The Proposition
    We of The Never Never
    Charlie’s Country
    Mystery Road
    Goldstone
    Chopper
    Lantana
    Samson and Delilah
    Australia

They are only a few of excellent Aussie films

I loved romper stomper back in the day. I was going to mention it, but wasn't sure if it would be too violent.

Good movie and a young Russell Crowe played the part well
    I didn’t watch Wolf Creek I am a pussy I’m not into scary shit,Seen enough in real life.
    Hope you are well xx

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Walkabout, eh? I think some of us will remember that one from our younger years

Wasnt it John Meillon of Crocodile Dundee playing the father?

Some films I can think of:

Crocodile Dundee.
    Mad Max.
    Priscilla Queen Of The Desert.
    Once Were Warriors.
    Pitch Black.
    Bait- a tsunami floods a supermarket and brings some sharks with it.
    Rogue - a boat tour respond to a signal flare but find themselves in a large crocs hunting area.
    Deathgasm - horror movie about two heavy metal band guys who summon a demon through music.
    Black Sheep - horror B movie about some sheep eating people.

I haven't see Black Water but by the sounds of it you might like Rogue which is a good creature feature. I think you've mentioned that film before and enjoyed how it was closer to reality than most of its type. Rogue is a bit more Lake Placid without humour.
    LOL Terry, yeah Walkabout, its much easier to list Jenny Agutter's films where she doesn't
    get her kit off. The Railway Children?

Thanks for all the titles folks. Some I've seen, of course Mad Max, Wolf Creek and The Babadook. All good films. Yep Long Weekend ForestGirl though the earlier version, 1979? Rogue sounds really good, will have to keep an eye out for that. And 'Adore' looks very intriguing.

Terry wasn't Pitch Black American? I'm sure it was, Vin Diesel.

Lola that's a good list. We of the Never Never I don't think I've seen so will have to put that right and ditto for Charlie's Country.

A Town Like Alice - one of my favorite books by Neville Shute (also one of my favorite authors!) - had an Australian film based on it, made in 1981 (there's an earlier film with Peter Finch, but I've never seen that one).

Hi Erin
    A Town Like Alice was a mini series here and very good.My Uncle helped fund the series and Brian Brown who played the lead role lived not far from me in Sydney years ago.
    My mum and uncle knew Peter Finch they used too have several beverages with him.

Dead Calm
    Rabbit Proof Fence
    Gallipoli.
    The Chant Of Jimmy Blacksmith.Some more movies for you Mr fish xx

Gallipoli was a great film. Always loved watching that when it was on TV years ago.

I liked Brian Brown in the FX films.

The Reef was a good film, Forestgirl. I've never seen Romper Stomper. Not seen Wolf Creek for ages, it was the same director as Rogue.

Yeah fishman, Pitch Black was a US one but some of the locations for filming were in Australia. Several of the actors were Aussies. Now I'm off to find some Jenny Agutter films to confirm your theory...

Wasn't Chopper another? Never seen it.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 18-08-20 at 04:59.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information