Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Severe esophagus symptoms, really scared

Severe esophagus symptoms, really scared

Hi everyone,

I'm desperately seeking someone who has had the same/similar symptoms as me with an unserious resolution as I can't think of anything this could be apart from cancer right now.

I've had a chronic cough since my teens which doctors have never gotten to the bottom of but now I'm thinking it has been silent reflux and has now caused damage and cancer.

Around two months ago I developed breathlessness and felt like I needed to yawn to catch a full breath. It didn't feel like it was in my lungs but in my upper airways. My doctor prescribed omeprezole thinking it was reflux. I took that and the breathlessness went away but around 4 weeks ago I started having problems with swallowing, food feeling stuck and sitting behind my chest, burping and gas and yellow stools. The swallowing has got progressively worse and my esophagus feels constantly sore and uncomfortable and like a pressure feeling, which worsens after eating. I am on PPIs and taking gaviscon after every meal and bed, have cut out all alcohol and all acidic foods, sugar, gluten and most dairy. I have lost a lot of weight, over a stone in the last two months.

I have a virtual appointment with a gastroenterologist this Friday so I'm hoping for some answers and hopefully quick testing, but I need something to focus on this week as I am a nervous wreck and am convinved this is esophagus cancer from chronic silent reflux over the years.

I am 31 years old.

Has anyone had the same symptoms and been OK?

Thanks so much in advance

Re: Severe esophagus symptoms, really scared

Hi there,

I have had similar and I actually think it’s partly caused by the omeprazole. I had a stomach virus in January which lasted about two months and I was prescribed omeprazole during this time as my doctor thought I also had acid, I took it for a couple of weeks then stared getting the acid taste in my throat. This is the first time I’ve ever had it. Then I took it twice more because of having the acid feeling and a feeling of a lump in my throat.

I have been referred to have the camera procedure down my throat - was referred in February but due to coronavirus I didn’t hear anything for ages so chased and have the appointment in October so it’s a long wait for the first symptoms! So I can’t offer reassurance in that it’s nothing as I don’t know yet, but I’m not overly worried about it at the moment and I do think taking the tablets made my symptoms worse or actually exist.

I’ve also been having pain in each side of my neck, but I think that’s probably to do with working from home and mainly being on a sofa looking down at my laptop!

I’ve also had loose stools on and off which I think the omeprazole may have originally caused. I’m 28 so a similar age.

I hope your appointment goes okay - comment back to let us all know how you get on 😊🤞🏻

Snap. Have the similar symptoms with major bloating since Feb. Seen a gastro who said gut dysbiosis. Was advised to take symprove which I started just under two weeks ago. I had a test done - faecal calprotectin which has come back positive. Given my age - 49, I’ve need to have a colonoscopy next Thursday. The dr thinks it may be an infection. This did all start after having an UTi - E. coli. Look up the SIBO post on the forum.

I had the breathlessness, dry cough, unable to breathe when lying down, swallow, felt as though my neck was swollen, ear trouble, aerosol feeling in my throat with light acid flavour in my mouth, lump in my throat, loss of appetite, sinus issues, taste and smell. I thought I had Covid but tests say otherwise. The GP did too and gave me 5 lots of antibiotics. Was also on a trial drug which gave me problems.

If you have silent reflux PPIs will not help you. Look at FODMAP, which may assist and also the Symprove.

Thanks both of you. I have completely changed my diet over the past few weeks to try and alievitate symptoms...I've cut out all caffeine, alcohol, acidic foods, sugar, gluten, dairy etc etc, and had no change. I came off the PPIs for a week and no change, so I have started taking them again.

Cry - I hope your endoscopy goes well. I'm hoping I get the same to find out what's going on! are you still getting the throat burning and do you have swallowing issues?

MightyPC - have you lost weight? I've lost so much weight which I think is partly due to anxiety and also due to having cut so many foods out and also being worried about eating because of the swallowing difficulties. My swallowing issues are worse at time and then seem to get better.

I have my gastro appointment on Friday so I'm hoping for some answers as to what it can be apart from the very scary conclusion I've drawn in my head!

To look at me I look as though I have gained weight as so bloated however, the scales show that I have lost 5-6kgs.

My shirts and t shirts are tight around the stomach but loose everywhere else. My trousers and shorts are much looser.

This gut flora imbalance can cause weight loss.

I actually think that I’m suffering malabsorption. My muscles and joints ache, my feet are sore too. This is another side effect. Look up SIBO, leaky gut and dysibosis to see if you have the symptoms. My stomach becomes solid too after eating. It can also mess with your head and cause anxiety and depression if left. It depletes ones immune system too, which no one wants during these times.

I've looked up SIBO and I don't really have any tummy problems apart from gas and the odd coloured stools. Most of my symptoms seem related to the esophagus (swallowing problems and pain and feeling of food getting stuck).

Just really want to get to the bottom of it as I'm miserable!

Possibly LPM or GERD. Whatever, you need to get it checked out. Do you get hoarse, keep clearing your throat and suffer with sore throats?

If it was GERD would it cause pain/discomfort and swallowing problems most times I eat even though I am on a strict FODMAP diet and on a PPI? Yeah I get all the LPR symptoms and have done for a long time. I have my appointment with the gastroenterologist tomorrow and I'm so scared.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah25 View Post
    If it was GERD would it cause pain/discomfort and swallowing problems most times I eat even though I am on a strict FODMAP diet and on a PPI? Yeah I get all the LPR symptoms and have done for a long time. I have my appointment with the gastroenterologist tomorrow and I'm so scared.
    Good luck for tomorrow Hannah i hope you get some answers to your problems. Let us know how you get on if you can. Best wishes

Thank you! Tomorrow is just a video call so don't think I will find much out but will be good to talk it through with a consultant. I'm just desperate for some reassurance that it's not the worst! I'm only 31 and I just want to be okay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information