Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Severe esophagus symptoms, really scared

Re: Severe esophagus symptoms, really scared

Thank you, you're are ao right! I just saw that post and my mind started spiralling again. Because I've lost so much weight and am in such discomfort I keep thinking the dreaded 'what if'. But you are right, I need to focus on what the gastro said!! How are you feeling?

Yes i’m feeling ok thank you, had today of & not back into work until wednesday, its hard to work everyday when you don’t feel well so will be a nice break, planning to visit hairdressers & my mum tomorrow & have a relaxing weekend.

I have actually had sort of similar symptoms for going on 8 months now.

It started with a mild discomfort on the left side of my chest and slowly became almost constant heartburn and some acid reflux that did not go away unless I was taking antacids or actively moving around and exercising.

I saw my GP several months ago who suggested I stay on PPIs for about a month and then take something like pepcid for another few weeks. During the treatment I had almost no symptoms. After the treatment I felt better but was still experiencing some symptoms. My GP then suggested I spend two weeks taking a double dose of PPIs. Once again during this time I was fine. I have now been off all medication for about a week and my heartburn is about the same as it was to begin with. I still have an almost constant burning sensation on the left side and middle of my chest, although no symptoms other than that.

I'm contacting my GP again and I'm pretty confident at this point that I'm going to have to see a GI doctor and end up getting a scope down my throat.

I have not been able to trace this to any specific foods or drinks an am sort of at a loss as to what the cause is here. This basically came out of nowhere.

Hi Hannah.
    I’ve just got back from an endoscopy after having similar symptoms. I had a hernia & gastritis! I’m having a chest X-ray as my breathing has been bad but they suspect it’s acid getting into my lungs and inflaming my airways!! Honestly I’ve said to my friends so many times (as they have a tendency to think I’m over reacting a lot) if you guys had these symptoms, even the most sane of people would think cancer! It’s crazy how horrible acid reflux can be! I’m sure you will be fine. Good luck!

Hi everyone,

A little update from me. I ended up being admitted to hospital on Tuesday because I hadn't been able to get any food or even shakes down in 24hours. I stayed overnight and got an endoscopy yesterday and lots of bloods etc. The endoscopy showed a hernia and they have taken biopsies for something called eosinophillic esophagitis which is when a food allergy causes inflammation. Will need to wait for the biopsies to come back for that but basically, I do NOT have cancer and I am NOT dying!!!

I just wanted to reassure anyone going through similar that symptoms can be so severe that you can't even swallow thick liquids or solids and get admitted to hospital and still has a fairly simple explanation. It might just be the hernia causing my symtpoms but could also be this allergy thing, either way there is nothing life-threatening going on.

You are right, anxiousbrit, I have said the same to my friends and family that if they felt what I felt they'd be so worried too. It's crazy that you can feel so ill and it not be life threatening, but we need to hold onto that fact now! I am so happy having found the issue and knowing a treatment plan can be put in place.

Mcjns, how are you feeling now? Mine came out of nowhere too. It's good that PPIs have worked for you and that also points to there being a simple explanation. You may have a hernia and it might mean you have to stay on the PPIs more long term.

Hi Hannah, so sorry to hear you ended up in hospital but pleased you have a diagnosis, what a stressful time you’ve had. Are you able to eat & drink now? Yes you are so right when you say that you can have such bad symptoms without it being something really serious. No one ever knows what another person is going through do they. Hope you feel better soon.

Hannah, Anxious, so glad they have got to the bottom of your issues. Hopefully you both will be on the mend very soon.

Did you experience any bloating and did you receive sedation for the endoscope or were you awake?
    What symptoms did the gastritis cause and how long have you had it for?

I think I’m going to have to request an endo. My bloating is still prevalent despite a month of Symprove, though must add the cramping has gone, my thought process is much improved as has the pepsin dispersing into my throat. The course is 3 months and I’m only 1 month gone. I’m waiting for antibiotics to wipe out the bacteria should that be the cause.

is your throat really red when you look in the mirror? mine is its freaking me out thinking i got throat cancer lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information