Bruh. Think of all the people that sleep outside for.one reason or another at night. All the drunkards that must brave the walk from their Uber to their door (or from the bar, even), all the backpackers and campers and people that live on farms and work late and all the gardens people tend and all the kids that play outside all day. Really consider the three hundred million people that live in the US. If it was that easy to get bitten by a bite while you were completely conscious, we'd have more than a couple cases of human rabies each year. Of the rabies cases we do have, many occur outside of our borders. Furthermore, while there are cases that occur in homes while people sleep, even if they didn't find a bite, they *always* knew of the bat. Saw it, caught it, let it out.

I really do know how you feel. I understand that the concept of a ninja bat doesn't seem all that far fetched. But, the statistics disagree with us.

Have you often had panics over simply your mortality? I often had attacks over it as a child. The most progress I ever made was to work on being comfortable with the idea of mortality. You're not their yet, but you may want to try it. Another bit of advice: not sure what you do for a living, but consider getting some part-time work at a vet, shelter, or animal control. They are required to get rabies vaccinations.