Thread: Gum Disease/Receding Gums

Gum Disease/Receding Gums

I think I had suspected I had receding gums for a while, but because of my tendency to panic when I see something odd about my health, I completely avoided actually checking.

About a week ago I really took a look at my gums and teeth, and they seem to be in absolutely horrendous shape. I don't have money right now and I'm waiting for some money to come in so I can go visit a dentist. But it looks like my gums have receded a bit for a few teeth, and it's been causing some bad toothaches. I don't know how big of a problem it is; but the little I have googled about it scared me so I stopped.

I haven't been in good shape psychologically since noticing this problem. I don't have money for any of this. It's going to wreck me.

If anyone has had any experiences with gum and teeth issues let me know.

I'm afraid of what it could do to my health; and ultimately what it has been doing to my health. I think this is a problem I've let get worse for years now (probably about 5 years).

Re: Gum Disease/Receding Gums

Are you getting bleeding gums? Do you have pain and jaw line pain?

I have some jaw line pain, but only ever since I've noticed the receding gums. So it kind of makes me think that it's because I'm focusing too much on my teeth and gums.
    I'm not really sure about the bleeding. My gums have really always bled a little bit when brushing. Maybe I brush too hard and that's why.
    I get a lot of pain on the teeth that have receding gums. Every time I brush there's pain there, and every time I floss there's pain there. This has been going on for quite a while, and it's only recently that I realized why I'm getting the pain.

I would get it check out as it may be touching the nerves intermittently. The sooner they are looked at the better.

I'd see a dentist when you can because they can do an extra good cleaning, but I wouldn't be too worried. Get yourself a good electric toothbrush (even the cheap battery ones do a better job than a regular one) and mouthwash and start take extra good care of your teeth at home. That will do a ton to improve the situation even without seeing a dentist. The pain is probably sensitivity where the gums are receding. I have a few receding gums (it's usually from brushing too hard so be sure to get a soft bristled tooth brush) and those teeth can get sensitive. The best tip my dentist ever gave me for sensitive teeth was to simply switch to a non-whitening toothpaste because whatever they put in the toothpaste to whiten teeth causes sensitivity. She said there's no reason to spend money on Sensidine or any of the other fancy brands for sensitive teeth. Just get regular old anti-cavity toothpaste and be sure it doesn't say anything about whitening on it. It worked SO fast to stop my sensitivities!!

Oh wow thanks for the advice.
    So your gums are receding from brushing too hard?
    I ask because I'm pretty sure that's been one of my problems the past few years. I brush a lot, and I tend to brush really hard and fast in kind of a "get it over with" type of way.
    I'm certain I need to see a dentist for a suspected cavity or 2 and I definitely will. But my biggest stressor is in thinking I have gum disease or something when it could just be that I brush too hard.

Thread Information