Thread: Colonoscopy

Colonoscopy

I have a colonoscopy booked for next Thursday and note they plan to sedate me. I had one 10 years ago and was sedated but a mate said he was given a wonderful relaxant and he watched the procedure and chatted to the nurse and didnít feel a thing. I would prefer this than be put out. Has anyone had this option?

Re: Colonoscopy

Do you know why they want to sedate you?

I don't have anything - just stay awake and watch the whole thing - no sedation or anything.

ďDon't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.Ē - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Nicola, no idea at all. Is it painful or uncomfortable? My last one I was put out and cannot remember a thing apart from waking and jumping up asking if they found anything.

They often give you a light sedation, as the air they use to clear and see into the various areas of the bowel, can be painful. I've felt this discomfort even with sedation.

1. We did the hard months in lockdown abiding by rules for you to get here.
    2. No one gives a shit if you prefer white towels or hotels with sea views.
    You're in quarantine for fourteen days ...obey the rules.

It can be uncomfortable yes but I just seem to be able to cope with it ok.

You can have gas and air as well.

ďDon't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.Ē - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks both. I will find out what they level of sedation they propose to administer. I do not want to be put out like before.

I had a sedation for an endoscope and can remember that. Felt I was suffocating, the worst experience apart from the cystoscope I had earlier this year, but I had nothing for that apart from numbing gel that didnít work or work as much as I would have liked.

I have a feeling the endo will be next if nothing shows in this, which I donít expect it to.

I was sedated for mine but I didn't watch it on the screen as I have zero interest in watching a camera wind it's way round my poo-pipes. The experience itself bordered on pleasant. I was pissed, but nice pissed and before I knew it I was being wheeled out to a side ward where, for once, a damn good fart in public isn't frowned on.
    There is a light. There is. Look for it. Look for it shining over your shoulder, on the past. It was light where you went once. It is light where you are now. It will be light where you will go again. ~ Jennifer Worth

I was sedated (mostly) for mine, didn't really fancy seeing inside myself to be quite honest, they offered but when I asked for more sedation the happily obliged. Next thing I knew i was being wheeled out onto a ward, let out a nice long fart and was offered some biscuits and a cup of tea. A little bit later I was discharged.

LOL NoraB.

I agree, I have no interest in watching it. The last one I had I was out cold, similar experience as Aleman.

Thanks to you all for your replies. Just need to get it wrap up and done now.😩

Some advice. Had my procedure of Thurs, left felt fine. Okay yesterday too and ate well. Woke this morning not feeling too clever, bloated, a little light headed and quite a bit of pepsin - silent reflux. Is this normal 48hrs after the event? Would have thought I could have expected this yesterday. I also had two polyps removed, so not sure whether this makes any difference and have diverticula disease. Thanks.

Thread Information