Thread: HELP! EOD? ALS? Cognitive/ Communication Issues

HELP! EOD? ALS? Cognitive/ Communication Issues

This is my last hope of not truly derailing into the HA oblivion. I'm hoping someone can help me. Female, 36, history of HA, OCD and GAD. My current fear is early dementia or something resembling that. My memory and cognitive function declines during my anxiety spikes, but I guess goes back to normal or I don't realize something is wrong in the down time. I usually have about 5 different HA spikes (minimum) a year (COVID from March-May). The most recent is most troubling and one I've had on and off for a few years. For the past two weeks, I have been having these dementia-like symptoms. I was applying for jobs after being out of work for almost a year, and that started an anxiety period. When I went for an annual physical, they gave me a hearing test, which I "failed". I began immediately googling symptoms of hearing loss and locked on to dementia.

I've seen a neurologist, my psychiatrist twice, therapist 3 times, had another hearing test (turns out there was nothing wrong with my hearing, just a faulty initial test). Everything came back ok, doctors think I'm fine save my extremely anxious state. The last week I've had the most troubling symptoms, which is waking up abruptly and mispronouncing or mixing up words in my head. Regular internal dialogue for an anxious person, but for example, I'll think "Today is going to be gray" when I mean today is going to be "great". Then the reading problems started. I notice I'll randomly skip words or read them out of order. This never happened before. Also having typing problems, where I'll type words out of order, but I notice I can type better if I don't look at the screen. Today was the worst though; I mispronounced Garage and then I second guessed the right pronounciation. I said to my husband, wait, it's ga RAJ or ga raash (this is supposed to be the correct pronunciation), he said it was the second. I couldn't believe I made such a stupid mistake, and then second guessed it.

I'm really at my wit's end. I'm not taking meds, sleeping is poor, I don't have a family history of any of the above diseases in the byline. I just want to know, am I ok? I am googling like crazy, I can't stop. Blood work is great minus borderline low vitamin b12. I am doing really well when it comes to intelligence, for example, I have no problems with problem solving, math, and I have been doing random LSAT questions and have gotten every one right. I feel like I'm trapped with an intelligent brain that is also declining. Looking for reassurance that I'm not alone, and anyone that has had similar problems and has overcome. I really truly thank you in advance.

Also, should note, the last MRI that I had was a year ago, and it came back normal.

Re: HELP! EOD? ALS? Cognitive/ Communication Issues

Ga raash is how you say garage? I've always pronounced it ga raj, but I'm an Aussie so maybe we pronounce it different... I've now said it so many times over and over again that the word doesn't even seem real anymore lol

Is it possible that the fact that you aren't sleeping well is causing your brain issues? I'm not an expert on any of this but I know sleep deprivation makes it harder to think for me.

Dementia at 36? Highly unlikely. I can feel your anxiety just from reading your post.

You said it yourself "doctors think I'm fine." They don't think you are fine, they know you are fine. I cannot diagnose you but ALS? No way.

Honestly I don't say it weird, I just couldn't think of the best way to type it out to show emphasis lol.

Thanks, I appreciate the response. A few days away from the constant googling has helped a little. Anxiety really will have you believing the worst, or your worst fear. I wonder what normal people feel like when they believe something is wrong. I've never been able to rationally look at a potential illness or sickness as mild or moderate; always the worst.

Thread Information