Thread: Anxiety after moving house

Anxiety after moving house

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read. I usually post on the health anxiety section but haven't been anxious in ages. Moved with my parents to Wales a few days ago from Birmingham where I had lived for my entire life, 26 years. We've sold our house and are now living in my parents static caravan for a few months until the new house completes. Was really excited to move and last night it really hit me that we would never go back to the house I'd spent my life in. Woke up this morning and my anxiety was sky high, to be honest I'm surprised I didn't have a panic attack. All day I've just had wave after wave of anxiety. It feels like I'm trapped in the caravan and that if I start to panic there's nowhere to escape to. I just feel like I need a massive cry to be honest because I'm really struggling. Is it normal for a house move to trigger this level of anxiety? Thanks in advance

Re: Anxiety after moving house

Moving can cause huge levels of anxiety. Each time I have moved I make sure that I’ve got some familiar pieces from home around me to comfort me.
    Hope you’re not in the caravan for too long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a massive change and readjustment for you, Andy. That's not to say that you won't get used to your new home once you move in and get settled once again but it's all mental and physical upheaval especially as you're now in temporary accommodation and have time to think about what you have left behind. The caravan is a temporary measure only.

I've lived in my present house since 1987 but may be moving soon. It's daunting but also the start of something new which could be better. Change is very stressful but use your time in the caravan to plan for your new life in Wales? It sounds like an exciting new challenge! You'll never forget your old home though and will always have your memories of it with you.

I'm sure you'll get used to it eventually, and I'm sure it will be a far nicer environment for you in the long run, away from the relentless stresses and strains of modern-day city life, especially in Brum.

I definitely appreciate living in leafy Staffordshire with the countryside only in spitting distance from our estate, and not stuck within the West Midlands conurbation where I was born (in West Brom).

Hope you are managing to settle in here in Wales - I might be a bit biased being as I've always lived here but Wales is lovely 😁 which part of Wales are you moving to?

That's really interesting!

Thread Information