Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Historically innocent words/names that have a far less innocent meaning today

Re: Historically innocent words/names that have a far less innocent meaning today

Whilst still on the subject of racism, I heard/read that some early episodes of EastEnders featured the N-word as part of the dialogue (and pre-watershed too), which would most certainly have been unthinkable some 35 years later.

Just imagine all the hysteria from the so-called 'flakes and wokes and OFCOM being flooded with calls and emails, yet for better or worse, hardly anyone seemed to make a big deal out of it back in 85. Most ironic considering some of the worst race riots occured in various major cities across England during the September-October period of that year.

Re: Historically innocent words/names that have a far less innocent meaning today

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Whilst still on the subject of racism, I heard/read that some early episodes of EastEnders featured the N-word as part of the dialogue (and pre-watershed too), which would most certainly have been unthinkable some 35 years later.

Just imagine all the hysteria from the so-called 'flakes and wokes and OFCOM being flooded with calls and emails, yet for better or worse, hardly anyone seemed to make a big deal out of it back in 85. Most ironic considering some of the worst race riots occured in various major cities across England during the September-October period of that year.
    Likewise, many early Brookside episodes (especially before 85) had lines with milder swear words, again,
    pre-watershed. Some of Bobby Grant's heavy militant antics I often found rather cringeworthy, especially punch-ups with his fellow colleagues on the shop floor of the then-doomed factory he worked at, and the strikes and picketing he often organised. He even arranged and attended an emergency trade union meeting on Christmas Day in December 1982, which Sheila was mega cheesed off about.

Bobby also had the nerve to give Damon a good hiding in front of all the neighbours in the Close on a couple of occasions, which I most certainly wouldn't want to witness in our street, no matter how justified the parents concerned felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

I just finished watching the old civil war tv mini series from the mid eighties with Patrick Swayze. The N word was used freely in context. I got zero issue with that. I don't think today they could make an honest piece like that because of all the PC BS.

Political correctness does not equal correctness.

I agree. Censoring comedy is one thing but drama is expected to depict life. How can harsh conditions be depicted if everyone is nice & respectful? Where next? Will we remove violence? Will it cross causes so domestic violence and homophobia are no longer depicted for their vileness?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I agree. Censoring comedy is one thing but drama is expected to depict life. How can harsh conditions be depicted if everyone is nice & respectful? Where next? Will we remove violence? Will it cross causes so domestic violence and homophobia are no longer depicted for their vileness?
    Same goes for (non-sexual) child abuse, which I think is greatly overlooked by the news alone these days, unlike back in the 80s and early 90s it seemed to be a big thing.

We may rarely see kids being beaten black and blue by their parents whilst shopping in town or in the supermarket these days, which was still a fairly common sight when I was younger, but God knows what parents still might be doing to them at home behind closed doors.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information