Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Historically innocent words/names that have a far less innocent meaning today

Historically innocent words/names that have a far less innocent meaning today

This morning I posted on the main Coronavirus/COVID-19 thread about old fizzy pop whose brand name was Corona, that I'm sure many of a certain age will fondly remember from their younger years, and implied the name has very different and less innocent connotations right now.

I can think of many other words/names/brands that are now potentially controversial in these more enlightened times, Mr. Brains' 'Faggots' to name but one.

Can anyone think of any others?

Re: Historically innocent words/names that have a far less innocent meaning today

A couple of years back I recall seeing an apartment block called Isis Court, and is in quite a well-to-do area.

Also the female name Karen is now (dare I say it) starting to have negative connotations.

Re: Historically innocent words/names that have a far less innocent meaning today

How about childhood sweets like 'Gob Stoppers' and the little black liquorice wrapped sweets called Blackjacks (possible only in the West Midlands as I don't remember seeing them anywhere else).Even the name 'Black Country' where I grew up seems to cause offence nowadays ... although the term originated in the old coal mining industry...

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    How about childhood sweets like 'Gob Stoppers' and the little black liquorice wrapped sweets called Blackjacks (possible only in the West Midlands as I don't remember seeing them anywhere else).Even the name 'Black Country' where I grew up seems to cause offence nowadays ... although the term originated in the old coal mining industry...
    I have always loved Black Jacks and their 'sister' Fruit Salad chewy sweets, and I'm sure they're still available now, and also outside of the West Midlands conurbation.

I can kind of identify with the name 'Black Country' causing some offence as much of it has above average BAME populations (cue the inevitable racist overtones) but said populations have resided in much of the Black Country area (and Birmingham) for several decades before now with barely a hint of indignation at the name.

And I was born in West Brom BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I have always loved Black Jacks and their 'sister' Fruit Salad chewy sweets, and I'm sure they're still available now, and also outside of the West Midlands conurbation.I can kind of identify with the name 'Black Country' causing some offence as much of it has above average BAME populations (cue the inevitable racist overtones) but said populations have resided in much of the Black Country area (and Birmingham) for several decades before now with barely a hint of indignation at the name.And I was born in West Brom BTW.
    Small world Lencoboy - I was born there too. Also remember the fruit salad sweets - used to get them from the local newsagent on a Saturday morning - you could get I think ten individual wrapped sweets for 5p in a paper bag (remember little white paper bags?) Also remember flying saucers (sherbert in a rice-paper dome), sherbert fountains with the liquorice stick, and red shoelaces...... but I digress.You are quite right though about the local populace not having a problem with the 'black country' - only outsider PC brigade and some local councillors feel they have to take offence at it. A local school in Guns Village also tried to change the name of the school (Guns Village Primary) because the reference to guns promoted violence.... makes you want to weep!

I remember Black jacks. You can get them now as those retro sweet companies do them online.

It used to be PC brigade but they've been usurped by later millenials and more recently 'the woke'. Didn't we used to call them busy bodies? Mary Whitehouse was more risqué.

They get all indignant about guns yet there is a place in Scotland called Tw@tt

It's the problem with this whitewashing we are seeing where the more batshit crazy want to make everything neutral or to their leanings. The Black Country is fine even if some marchers in London don't like it. Can I buy a box of Black Magic or am I appropriating someone's culture?

One old name was for the colour brown or black often seen in shoe polish.

You could easily misread this one...

I'm surprised no one as yet has demanded the brand name 'Black & Decker' to be banned.

Ditto R. White's lemonade.

Even the word 'lemonade' itself has developed dubious connotations over the years!!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post

They get all indignant about guns yet there is a place in Scotland called Tw@tt
    There's a Nob End not far from us.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    There's a Nob End not far from us.
    That's just reminded me, what about McVities 'Hob Nob' biscuits?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information