Thread: Increase in Palpitations. Why?

Increase in Palpitations. Why?

Hi,

I have suffered from palpitations for the last few years, they have caused me great anxiety and completely interfered with my life.

Often I might have a bad day of ectopics but then go to sleep and the next day everything will be fine and they won’t bother me for a few weeks.

The last month or so however,I have been having lots of ectopics each day which don’t seem to be going away and have kept me up for 3 nights last week as they were happening to frequently.

I am telling myself it will pass but it is really hard to not think ‘why?’ Is it happening? Is it leading up to a catastrophic cardiac event? I find it hard to accept there is such a large increase for no particular reason.

Any help / advice is much appreciated

I am a 22 yo female btw

Re: Increase in Palpitations. Why?

I've had palpitations for the last ten years. I'm still here. Yay!

Of all my symptoms, they are the most annoying but I will tell you what worked for me..

I have fibromyalgia and part of that is constipation-based IBS. (bear with me) Plus, I take codeine for migraines when the normal painkillers don't work. Codeine is known for making people constipated, and it affected me BIG TIME. My GP bunged me a box of Movicol which did the job, but URGH, the taste! Meanwhile, I researched more natural methods of laxative and I come across magnesium citrate. So I got some, and it worked. However, within a few months, I realised that the palps had all but gone. What gives? I haven't done anything any differently except take magnesium in a drink every night. So I did some research, and it turns out that magnesium can indeed help with palpitations amongst a whole load of other things because apparently many of us are deficient - as we are with Vit D etc. The change was so drastic with me that I actually went to my GP and said, 'Something's wrong Doc, my heart has slowed right down'. Bear in mind my heart had been racing constantly for the best part of ten years - it was unnerving for me. But, nope - heart is fine.

Magnesium isn't called the 'calming mineral' for nothing...

One thing: It's common sense to run any change by your GP if you are taking meds. Vitamins and minerals etc can interact, so you should always do your research. In my case, I only take co-codamol (occasionally) and over the counter painkillers, and Vit D - so I'm good to go.

Thread Information