Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS Scare. terrified

MS Scare. terrified

Hello everyone! I’m new here and would like to wish everyone well!

I have had a long history of health anxiety which has been on and off for years now. I’m grateful to say that over the last year I have managed to stay away from any issues surrounding my health anxiety which is a true blessing. However I have had MS fears over the last few months...

However around March time I found that when I would be on walks with my family and would hold my phone up to look at my social media, the upper right part of my back (near my shoulder blade) would burn and ache. However this always went away soon after I got home and relaxed. It always occurred on walks when I held my phone up in my right hand (making me believe it was a posture issue)

This slowly stopped happening as much however, around 3/4 weeks ago I went to scratch an itch on the same spot of my back and felt it was slightly numb. Not COMPLETELY numb as I can still feel connection however a lot more numb that usual. This numbness hasn’t stopped in the last 3/4 weeks and has been concerning me. There is no weakness and I’m very active, I still work out everyday and my lifestyle hasn’t changed.

Today however I realised another symptom. I am known to have a terrible bladder and over the last few days it has gotten worse. Once I googled my symptom and realised that MS can cause bladder problems I have had a constant pressure in my “bits” to urinate. It’s 24/7 however it is not like my bladder is full as not much comes out when I urinate. I just feel like I need to 24/7. I am unsure as to whether this is a case of me constantly thinking about it or whether the sensation is real.

I am now terrified and really upset. Please could anyone give their opinions and advice it would be so so appreciated.

Thankyou all so much, James🖤

Re: MS Scare. terrified

Quote Originally Posted by Jamessimpson3210 View Post
    Hello everyone! I’m new here and would like to wish everyone well!

I have had a long history of health anxiety which has been on and off for years now. I’m grateful to say that over the last year I have managed to stay away from any issues surrounding my health anxiety which is a true blessing. However I have had MS fears over the last few months...

However around March time I found that when I would be on walks with my family and would hold my phone up to look at my social media, the upper right part of my back (near my shoulder blade) would burn and ache. However this always went away soon after I got home and relaxed. It always occurred on walks when I held my phone up in my right hand (making me believe it was a posture issue)

This slowly stopped happening as much however, around 3/4 weeks ago I went to scratch an itch on the same spot of my back and felt it was slightly numb. Not COMPLETELY numb as I can still feel connection however a lot more numb that usual. This numbness hasn’t stopped in the last 3/4 weeks and has been concerning me. There is no weakness and I’m very active, I still work out everyday and my lifestyle hasn’t changed.

Today however I realised another symptom. I am known to have a terrible bladder and over the last few days it has gotten worse. Once I googled my symptom and realised that MS can cause bladder problems I have had a constant pressure in my “bits” to urinate. It’s 24/7 however it is not like my bladder is full as not much comes out when I urinate. I just feel like I need to 24/7. I am unsure as to whether this is a case of me constantly thinking about it or whether the sensation is real.

I am now terrified and really upset. Please could anyone give their opinions and advice it would be so so appreciated.

Thankyou all so much, James🖤
    Hi James sorry to hear how your feeling, l too have had these worries about ms a few years ago guess what no ms years have gone by, anxiety can cause alsorts of symptoms as you probably know if you keep telling yourself its ms your mind is going to pick up on this and mimic it, try to stop thinking about it focus your mind on exercise, reading mindfulness anything,

also anxiety can cause you to want the toilet more frequently, if it continues have a word with your doctor I'm sure you be fine power of the mind is unbelievable and can make us think alsorts, you will find lots of like minded people here hope this helps take care

best wishes xx

Thanks so much for your reply I appreciate it! I feel like the bladder issue may be the fact I’m overthinking it! However I’m concerned as to why there is a section of my back which is numb. There is no pain what so ever or weakness. It’s just numb. It’s the same spot that would burn when I would hold certain postures. Maybe the posture is what created the issue. Almost as a trapped nerve?

It’s very concerning to me but maybe it is just anxiety. I also feel I would have other symptoms but I’m really not sure. I’m only 21 and to have such a terrible illness at this age would break my heart. Especially since I am always active and working out :(

The action of holding the phone up will work those muscles. The connection is obvious to me, James. Leave ya phone in your pocket and enjoy being with your family.

Numbness is actually symptom of anxiety, however, this sounds like you are hyperfocused on a normal sensation when using muscles in a different way. If it helps, I have had numbness in my left arm for years and it turned out to be normal wear and tear in the cervical spine with a touch of nerve impingement. What I am trying to say is that you're doing the classic health anxiety thing - which is to go straight to the worst (and least likely) scenario. Given that MS and fibro are so similar - I know enough about it, and have talked to enough doctors to think that what you're saying doesn't sound like MS.

I pee more when I'm stressed. This is because it's part of the stress response. When the fight or flight response is triggered (as it is when we are panicking) the body naturally gets rid of anything that will slow us down and prevent a quick getaway or being able to stay and beat the crap out of something. You are constantly sending this signal out so the body is constantly trying to get rid of the urine - except that there becomes very little to get rid of after numerous trips to the loo. The brain doesn't know this - it's simply responding to the command to purge. The thing with HA is that we become hyperfocused on the normal functioning of the body.

Nothing you have written makes me think you have MS, but I'm not a doctor. None of us are. The more terrified you become, the more symptoms you will develop. MS is a common fear with health anxiety sufferers, and that should tell you something. What I do with symptoms is to try and make the connections. It involves playing detective. If I get an ache, I ask myself, 'What have I been doing differently?' Have I been doing a different exercise in my workout? A heavier weight? A new stretch? Then I let some time pass and see if it's still there in a few weeks, but it's not unusual for me to have symptoms for months at a time. In my case, I have to work out what's fibro and what is anxiety. It is common sense to see a GP when a new symptom persists longer than is usual for you, but if you can try not to focus on your symptoms so much, then you will probably find that they diminish, and then go.

Hey guys! I thank you all so much for the replies. I’m happy to say the bad bladder fear has reduced and I realised it was my anxiety as it wasn’t an issue once I took my mind away from it!

The only “symptom“ I have now is that the righ side of my upper back is numb to touch! This is still very concerning as when I type this in on google all I see is MS!!

This is now my only worry as I realised everything else was anxiety. Does a numb section of my back mean MS? There isn’t any weakness it is just numb to touch near the shoulder blade area!

Thankyou guys again for your kind replies🖤

Does a numb section of my back mean MS? There isn’t any weakness it is just numb to touch near the shoulder blade area!
    Instead of Googling MS (which I am 99% certain you don't have) Google muscle strain.

"Muscle strains from injury or exercise can cause you to experience pain in your thigh, and sometimes numbness."

This is the most logical reason..

Anything nerve related ***COULD*** be MS. This is why google pulls it up. Is it likely? MS isnt common but anxiety and trapped nerves are.

Sounds like you need to get to the bottom of your MS fear. What is it exactly you fear about MS?

I saw my grandad pass away with MND which started my anxiety. I don’t want to be stuck in a wheelchair with a debilitating illness at such a young age

I saw my grandad pass away with MND which started my anxiety. I don’t want to be stuck in a wheelchair with a debilitating illness at such a young age
    MS and MND are not related, MS is an autoimmune condition and MND is neurological.

1. We did the hard months in lockdown abiding by rules for you to get here.
    2. No one gives a shit if you prefer white towels or hotels with sea views.
    You're in quarantine for fourteen days ...obey the rules.

Yeah I know that but I’m saying that’s where my fear came from

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information