Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonsil cancer

Tonsil cancer

Hi .. I haven't posted on here for a number of years. But right now I feel the familiar anxiety pull!

Over the years I have had few bouts of tonsillitis all ok after antibiotics etc. The last time I had it was Jan this year and took couple of weeks to go.

At that time I know my right tonsil was larger than the left as of course I was looking at my throat. It is entirely possible it has been larger before then too but honestly I don't know.

I have never worried about this. But over past few months I've had the covid fear as I've had a very mild sore throat that comes and goes ( also had post nasal drip recently) so been looking more often.

Anyway of course I've googled..why??!! And now read asymmetrical tonsil can be tonsil cancer.

Today I contacted my GP on Ask my GP. He said he could send me to ENT. He then asked for photo and he looked at it, said yes looked larger but he's not concerned. He said he could refer me but likely its always been like that. So essentially seemed my choice. Anyway I said yes to referral assuming would take ages but he replied usually is two weeks.

I realise I'm reassurance seeking but I'm so worried and hoping for positive responses or any advise really. Thank you

Re: Tonsil cancer

My tonsils have been different sizes since I had tonsillitis near enough 7 years ago, they never fully went down either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Thank you for your reply reassuring to hear

Tonsil cancer

Hi .. I haven't posted on here for a number of years. But right now I feel the familiar anxiety pull!

Over the years I have had few bouts of tonsillitis all ok after antibiotics etc. The last time I had it was Jan this year and took couple of weeks to go.

At that time I know my right tonsil was larger than the left as of course I was looking at my throat. It is entirely possible it has been larger before then too but honestly I don't know.

I have never worried about this. But over past few months I've had the covid fear as I've had a very mild sore throat that comes and goes ( also had post nasal drip recently) so been looking more often.

Anyway of course I've googled..why??!! And now read asymmetrical tonsil can be tonsil cancer.

Today I contacted my GP on Ask my GP. He said he could send me to ENT. He then asked for photo and he looked at it, said yes looked larger but he's not concerned. He said he could refer me but likely its always been like that. So essentially seemed my choice. Anyway I said yes to referral assuming would take ages but he replied usually is two weeks.

I realise I'm reassurance seeking but I'm so worried and hoping for positive responses or any advise really. Thank you

Just bumping to see if anyone can help. Really appreciate it

Your gp has given you good advice & now it’s all about managing your anxiety. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Just adding an update here re my tonsil incase helpful. I had ENT appt today. He was very nice and said he was not concerned but only way to be 100% rather thsn 98% was removal or mri. He said he would not recommend op as not needed and won't be anything wrong. He recommended i have mri as I'll be anxious otherwise. Will be non urgent appt but he will arrange for asap. He said GPs must always refer for asymmetrical tonsils but not to worry as he is confident all ok, I don't smoke etc. Feeling better but of course hate tests!. I get the sense that if i wasn't so anxious I wouldn't have to get mri, but i know I'll worry so may as well!

MRI

This is a crazy question even for me, but if I don't write it down I'll burst!

I was referred to ENT for one tonsil larger, overall it was felt almost certainly nothing and I've had since at least Jan after tonsillitis likely longer.

Anyway today I had MRI. Radiographer was nice, I told him I had anxiety and was worried re results. I said I was worried re his face expression after ie reading into if its bad news.

He said he could not and would not tell me though he admitted he would likely know result there and then but that the Radiologist had to check and send to my ENT and he said I would get nothing from his facial expression. I understood that and had the test.

After MRI I felt he was suddenly more business like, desperate to get me out and just said thats the way out.

I didn't ask him anything, but its freaking me out that he was so abrupt after of course in my mind meaning he had seen something bad and didn't want me to see that!

Am i being totally crazy?! Really appreciate any help

Re: MRI

I would try not to worry. I had an MRI and the consultant was to call me back. After a few days I called them and they said they had my results but couldn't tell me. I pleaded but they said no, I was up the wall with anxiety, turned out the MRI was fine. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information