Thread: Worried about thigh twitch

Worried about thigh twitch

I have had what I presume is BFS since 2005. My calves constantly twitch and I tent to get them all over. If I watch my calves, they are never not twitching (since 2005).
    In mid July I noticed my thigh twitching. I actually thought it was amusing and took videos. It didn’t stress me since I have always had the twitches.
    This went on, on and off I presume for a few weeks. I actually didn’t focus on it, until one day I decided to look up videos of similar twitches.
    I found some, but also started reading about people being worried. Which made me wonder, should I be worried? And the more I read - even though it’s all pretty reassuring - the more worried and focused on the twitch I got.
    This was two weeks ago. Low and behold, one day I managed to accept it and relax and the twitch went away! And it stayed away, until 2 days ago. Suddenly it started again, and I feel like my world is crumbling.

I am a fit guy. I run 4-5 times a week. Surely if I had something sinister, and my thigh was effected, it would be tough to run right? And isn’t the fact that it came and went away for 2 weeks a good sign? Sinister things tend to get worse, not go away and come back.

It’s a tough health anxiety issue to deal with - because I can feel it. Unlike a mole, or something like that - which I can try to not look at - I have no control over this.

Re: Worried about thigh twitch

Hey Robin, I just want you to know that you're not alone! One random day in August of 2018 I started to get twitches. Thighs, calves, back, neck, arms, stomach, even small quivers in eyes and lips. This has been very hard for me to deal with because the twitches are constant health anxiety triggers for me. Every time I google them, the worst comes up. Although it's harder said than done, we have to stop googling. I've had them for 2 years and my doctors say I'm healthy (thank god). You've had them for 15 years AND you work out often!! I've been told by many here that people like us are living proof that all of this is benign. I was recently told I have vitamin D deficiency though, so that could be the cause. I am no doctor but maybe research about vitamin intake.

Have a good one.

Matt

Re: Worried about thigh twitch

Although you didn’t mention a specific condition you were worried about, the most sinister thing people associate twitching with is ALS or other motor neuron disease. And although twitching can be a symptom of this, it is never the first or only symptom. In fact, a neurologist probably wouldn’t even consider twitching a possible symptom of anything unless it was presenting with progressive weakness or cramping. Not just slight weakness, but weakness which made you unable to perform tasks you normally would have been able to. In my mother’s case, she did have twitching much later into the disease’s progression, but it was twitching that she could barely feel. She described it as different than the normal twitching she would get prior to having ALS. Also, you said you have experienced this for years. If you had any sort of neurological issue that was causing this, it would most certainly have progressed quite a lot by now. So in general, twitching is almost never a sign of one of these scary things. Most people twitch. Some more than others. And some of us just notice it more than others. I twitch all the time. I have for years. Sometimes it’s widespread, sometimes it targets a certain area for a few days, weeks, etc. The more anxious you are, the more you will twitch. What you described sounds totally benign to me. Take care.

Thread Information