Thread: Sweating

Sweating

Since my anxiety and depression started some 28 years ago I was prone to sweating more than usual. I put up with this as it was manageable and apart from the odd flare up like a hot flush, it would calm down.
    Since taking Venlafaxine about 2.5 years ago I have suffered sweating that is completely ridiculous. Even doing nothing I will sweat heavily. When I take the dogs out for a walk, I will come home soaked. My trousers and shirt will be soaked through and I will have sweat dripping from my head and fingertips. If I wear wellies I even have pools of sweat in them. The lockdown has been great for me as at work it was becoming impossible to deal with. If I wear anything other than black it is so obvious. Once I know people have noticed it then gets worse. The other issue is that it is everywhere. Not just armpits and hands but back, legs chest, head and arms.

I worry that if I move to another AD I will relapse. Thats even if it is the Venlafaxine doing it.

Re: Sweating

Quote Originally Posted by up a ladder View Post
    Since taking Venlafaxine about 2.5 years ago I have suffered sweating that is completely ridiculous. Even doing nothing I will sweat heavily.

...Thats even if it is the Venlafaxine doing it.
    It may be the venlafaxine as it is a common side-effect. Serotonin is not just a brain neurotransmitter. It has many roles in the body including in mediating blood vessel tone, constriction and dilation, and in regulating body temperature through the hypothalamus and these are likely the cause of the excess sweating.

Switching to another AD may resolve the issue, but there are no guarantees as it is a potential side-effect of all ADs. It seems to occur slightly more often with paroxetine (Paxil) and sertraline (Zoloft) so I don't recommend switching to these. The SSRI least likely to trigger it is fluvoxamine (Luvox), however, as with everything about ADs, YMMV.

Small 1mg doses of the blood pressure medication terazosin (Hytrin) have been shown to significantly reduce SSRI induced sweating, as have oxybutynin (Ditropan) which is prescribed for overactive bladders and the antihistamine cyproheptadine (Periactin), but I suspect many GPs would be reluctant to prescribe them. They might consider gabapentin, however, which is sometimes prescribed for menopausal hot flushes and night sweats. It might also be worth first discussing this with your pharmacist as there may be an effective topical preparation.

Since going up in dose from 225mg to 300mg I get the odd night where I wake dripping in sweat and in hot weather I do sweat more.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    It may be the venlafaxine as it is a common side-effect. Serotonin is not just a brain neurotransmitter. It has many roles in the body including in mediating blood vessel tone, constriction and dilation, and in regulating body temperature through the hypothalamus and these are likely the cause of the excess sweating.

Switching to another AD may resolve the issue, but there are no guarantees as it is a potential side-effect of all ADs. It seems to occur slightly more often with paroxetine (Paxil) and sertraline (Zoloft) so I don't recommend switching to these. The SSRI least likely to trigger it is fluvoxamine (Luvox), however, as with everything about ADs, YMMV.

Small 1mg doses of the blood pressure medication terazosin (Hytrin) have been shown to significantly reduce SSRI induced sweating, as have oxybutynin (Ditropan) which is prescribed for overactive bladders and the antihistamine cyproheptadine (Periactin), but I suspect many GPs would be reluctant to prescribe them. They might consider gabapentin, however, which is sometimes prescribed for menopausal hot flushes and night sweats. It might also be worth first discussing this with your pharmacist as there may be an effective topical preparation.

Thanks very much for this. I will raise this with the GP. Ironic that the sweating promotes so much anxiety that I am not sure if the AD (obviously the depression part would still persist) meds are worth it.

I am on 150 (2 x 75mg) and the sweating is all day every day. I think it is actually getting worse over time. It's certainly worse than last year with no adjustment to dose.

Makes me sweat too

But as Ian say its side effect not anxiety symptom

Thanks very much for this. I will raise this with the GP. Ironic that the sweating promotes so much anxiety that I am not sure if the AD (obviously the depression part would still persist) meds are worth it.
    If you GP can't help then do consider switching to another AD. While all of them may cause excess sweating, it is unlikely all will for you.

I am on 150 (2 x 75mg) and the sweating is all day every day. I think it is actually getting worse over time. It's certainly worse than last year with no adjustment to dose.
    I gather this year has been a bit warmer than usual in Britain so could this have contributed by having an additive effect, perhaps? Anyway, talk to your GP about it. You shouldn't need to suffer.

Thread Information