Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Noticed something odd about the numbers

Re: Noticed something odd about the numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Do not be at all surprised if cases rise to around 2500-3000 a day.
    You seen the news today? You are fortune teller my friend. Do me a favor, PM me the lottery numbers

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    It seems like today's cases have pretty much doubled overnight (2,988), though the hospitalisation rate still remains low (and stable at least), and just 2 confirmed deaths today.
    If these cases continue like this then we should see a rise in death rates right? At least to some degree?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

The cynic/curmudgeon in me says they killed all the elderly off in the beginning and the vulnerable are now exceedingly cautious, whilst the low death rate can be attributed to people taking more than 28 days to die from it after the positive test.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    If these cases continue like this then we should see a rise in death rates right? At least to some degree?
    Not necessarily. Most of these infections are being found via routine screening, which implies that these folk have either mild illness or are completely asymptomatic.

As I said, these infections have been happening since the start of this pandemic, they’re being picked up now because of more access to testing.

At the start, the official cases numbers were mostly from people already in hospital, and those are the ones that are far more likely to die. In other words, recorded cases were almost entirely from people in deep shit.

Now, mass testing is producing much higher numbers of cases versus deaths. People with only mild symptoms are being recorded as a statistic, and they weren't before.

Oy, I'd love to win the lotto.

Edit: If I win the lotto, I'm hiring a maid.

Seems fairly obvious that more cases are being reported now because (a) more tests being done and these are not restricted to hospital cases (b) lot of spread among among the younger population who have since lockdown was eased, been gathering en masse and (c) lots of people now coming back from holidays in Europe and bringing back infection with them.Numbers although high are probably a more actual reflection of infection in the community at large rather than as was the case back in March of just hospitalized cases or the vulnerable who copped the worst dose of it back then. If varied opinion is to be be believed, the infection rate back in March in the community was 5 times higher than official figures cited (these were not tested and went unreported). If looked at in this light the case numbers now are 5 times lower than back at the start of the epidemicI don't think the government is going for an official policy of herd immunity - this is just happening naturally as is the usual way with viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    Seems fairly obvious that more cases are being reported now because (a) more tests being done and these are not restricted to hospital cases (b) lot of spread among among the younger population who have since lockdown was eased, been gathering en masse and (c) lots of people now coming back from holidays in Europe and bringing back infection with them.Numbers although high are probably a more actual reflection of infection in the community at large rather than as was the case back in March of just hospitalized cases or the vulnerable who copped the worst dose of it back then. If varied opinion is to be be believed, the infection rate back in March in the community was 5 times higher than official figures cited (these were not tested and went unreported). If looked at in this light the case numbers now are 5 times lower than back at the start of the epidemicI don't think the government is going for an official policy of herd immunity - this is just happening naturally as is the usual way with viruses.
    Agree with you Dorabella, especially about people returning from their holidays abroad (which they could have waited at least another year for IMO).

But of course, people will still be getting hysterical over today's case count and jumping to conclusions that the second wave has officially started and saying 'I told you so'!!

Still don't know as to whether or not a second national lockdown would be worth it. IMO, it would probably prove futile and would be met with widespread derision, especially following all the recent protests over various issues in central London and other major cities.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    At the start, the official cases numbers were mostly from people already in hospital, and those are the ones that are far more likely to die. In other words, recorded cases were almost entirely from people in deep shit.

Now, mass testing is producing much higher numbers of cases versus deaths. People with only mild symptoms are being recorded as a statistic, and they weren't before.

Good point.

I honestly feel a bit dumb here. I still don't get it. In July the numbers were around 1,000 reported cases and deaths around 100. 2 weeks ago the reported cases was around 1,000 but death rates higher. I don't get how in 1 month the cases are the same, but deaths absurdly low in comparison to the same figures in July. I hope I make sense here.

Ohhhh wait I think I get it.

Because more people are tested now it's revealing large numbers of less-symptomatic people that otherwise wouldn't have been picked up. So the testing is now catching the young etc who are not at risk of death.

Literally clocked it as I was writing so I'll continue to post this to show where my thinking was off. This is why I ask these questions because I know somewhere there's a logical explanation.

☪️️

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information