Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: September 2000 Fuel Protests, 20 Years On.

Re: September 2000 Fuel Protests, 20 Years On.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    With the current escalation in fuel prices, I was wondering today how long it might be before anyone starts any September 2000-style oil refinery blockades, but this time of course with Boris and Co getting it in the neck like Blair and Co did back then?

I also wonder how long it will be before we end up seeing 'Poll Tax'-like disturbances in response to the COL crisis?

Or have we generally become less militant as a society over the past 20-30 years or so?
    It does seem that the oil refinery blockades in Sept 2000 were one of the last major politically-oriented rebellions in this country.

Plus many seem of the opinion that the Poll Tax Riots in 1990 and the Miners' Strikes in 1984 were amongst the last bastion of 'true' political revolt of the modern (postwar) era, unlike most events of a similar ilk that have occurred post-2000, most people have seemingly taken on the chin and regarded as 'meh' by comparison.

I also recall even well into the 2000s there being widespread public furores over high-profile job losses and company closures, now hardly anyone seems to bat an eyelid.

In France, for instance, it's often a very different story.

Re: September 2000 Fuel Protests, 20 Years On.

Although it could still be yet to come, I'm surprised there hasn't (as yet) been any re-attempts at oil refinery blockades like there was 22 years ago this month, of which I bet there's a few people who would no doubt relish the thought of reliving the sheer excitement of it all and trying to bring down the govt once again, especially the (now) sons and daughters of the original protesters.

Not that I'm necessarily advocating such practices now though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information