Thread: Therapy not doing enough?

Therapy not doing enough?

At what point do you know if you need to seek help from a psychiatrist or general doctor in addition to/instead of a counselor? I have been talking to a therapist for about 6 months. I do like her but I'm starting to think I need some more advanced, targeted method for anxiety (and health anxiety). I do what she says, set up goals, practice mindfulness, etc. but I still find anxiety physically overpowering sometimes. I'll be sitting relaxing and get a rush of fear for no reason. I have insomnia, and digestive issues, that are probably because of anxiety. I have constant obsessive thoughts about my health.
    I might ask her if we can try a different approach but I'm not sure how to have that conversation either, it's a bit awkward for me to disagree with her.

Re: Therapy not doing enough?

I had CBT where we got stuck into why I had health anxiety and also techniques to use - like taking my thoughts to 'court'. Very useful. A game changer for me, actually. It helped me to face the fears, not side-step them. Absolutely speak to your therapist about a different approach but it really needs to be one where you face your fears..

Yes, that makes sense. I’ll suggest that to my therapist. I can’t set goals and enhance my life if I haven’t faced my fears yet!

Insomnia is a bitch to deal with, I know it all too well, myself.

Sure.. talk to your therapist about it and see what happens. Otherwise, maybe its time to seek help elsewhere. Don't be afraid to therapist shop. I've gone through many along the way and just recently I found a good one, thus far anyway ** knocks on wood**. Takes time to find someone that 'gets you'! You will eventually.

Good luck and I hope things improve

Thread Information