Thread: How do you know if it's an early period or bleeding?

How do you know if it's an early period or bleeding?

I'm not so good these days, and trying to rationalise things is like banging my head against a wall.

I'm currently on my period but I can't help worrying it's not my period. I got it yesterday (Monday) but it wasn't due until Thursday, so 3 days early. I'm usually fairly regular. Getting it 3 days early has happened before but it's not too common with me. But nearly always on my period I will have bad cramps on the first day, and usually second day too and improving after that. But when I got my period yesterday I had no cramps, didn't get them until today. And I can't get rid of the thought that yesterday's bleeding was caused by something sinister and today was actually the first day of my period. I'm trying to be rational but it's not working. I don't even know what anyone can advise me here.
    And on top of this I got a letter in the post this morning, telling me I'm now due my HPV smear test and to make an appointment to get it done. I can't help thinking that's a sign, and a bad sign at that :(

Re: How do you know if it's an early period or bleeding?

Spotting the day before your period is absolutely nothing to worry about, don't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Spotting the day before your period is absolutely nothing to worry about, don't sweat it.
    Thank you BlueIris, I am trying my best to stay calm about it.
    But I'm just so concerned about having no cramps yesterday. There were a few times when I thought a cramp was starting but then it would go away.
    Sometimes I will bleed heavy on day 1, sometimes it will be very light. But no matter what the flow is like, I always get cramps.
    And I think it's been that way for years with me.

One of the many joys of being a woman - it gives us plenty of things to worry about

It's just your body being weird, I'd lay my next month's wages on it. Our bodies change with the passing of time - it used to petrify me but my life's been much easier since I decided to (literally) go with the flow.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    It's just your body being weird, I'd lay my next month's wages on it. Our bodies change with the passing of time - it used to petrify me but my life's been much easier since I decided to (literally) go with the flow.
    What you're saying makes perfect sense BlueIris, and I'm trying to convince myself that you're right.
    I know I can't expect my periods to stay the same month after month and year after year. I'm 43 now so I suppose some changes are bound to start happening.
    A lot of months something will happen that I will worry about, but this is the first time this happened.
    I really like your advice though - "go with the flow" What a perfect way of saying it

I'm 43 too, and my premenstrual symptoms have been utterly unreliable for the past year or so. A couple of years back I spotted a week before my period and honest to goodness thought I was dying. Definitely still here though

It’s quite worrying when they change. As women, one of the most constant things in our lives is our period! So many things revolve around them.
    Mine changed in my early 40’s too.

I kept a period tracker and marked down any symptoms (odd or normal). When I had a REALLY weird one I went to the GP and actually got referred for tests. I was fine though.
    I’ve had a few weird ones lately, literally a 12 day cycle last month which was quite unpleasant.

So I think all this just goes to show that they are inconsistent and usually nothing to worry about. If you have consistent oddness then it’s always worth getting it checked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information