Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The potential perils of overseas holidays

Re: The potential perils of overseas holidays

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Glad that's resolved

Funny, but someone I'm aware of has come back from Italy with a persistent cough, but has tested negative. Now they're desperately trying to find a testing station and as with anything to do with this government, it's proving impossible.
    I gather this must be for further tests.

Wasn't it mentioned the other day that some people might be unnecessarily getting tested just for the sake of it, without any of the key symptoms, which might be one of the factors behind the current bottlenecks?

I'm still convinced that the current bout of higher daily cases is largely caused by those returning from holidays since the last 2 weeks of August.

What's really bugging me is we've been deprived of theatres and live music events since mid-March, but the govt have still been content to give non-essential international travel the go-ahead, as if the travel industry is far more important than the arts, and numerous other sectors.

And the interiors of planes are confined spaces with lots of people, so what's the difference between passenger holds on planes and theatre auditoria?

Just seems like double standards to me.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 13-09-20 at 15:39.

Re: The potential perils of overseas holidays

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I gather this must be for further tests.Wasn't it mentioned the other day that some people might be unnecessarily getting tested just for the sake of it, without any of the key symptoms, which might be one of the factors behind the current bottlenecks?I'm still convinced that the current bout of higher daily cases is largely caused by those returning from holidays since the last 2 weeks of August.What's really bugging me is we've been deprived of theatres and live music events since mid-March, but the govt have still been content to give non-essential international travel the go-ahead, as if the travel industry is far more important than the arts, and numerous other sectors.And the interiors of planes are confined spaces with lots of people, so what's the difference between passenger holds on planes and theatre auditoria?Just seems like double standards to me.
    If you look at the timeline here positive tests have been rising for the last 3 weeks - reflecting those die-hards coming back from overseas holidays, series of raves and illegal mass music events, plus relaxing of household mingling, religious gatherings.... doesn't take much to work it out . Even so the majority of positive test have been recorded among 18 - 25 year olds so they are not off the hook - the rest of the cases are what they have passed on to their families. Fun times ahead when students start returning to universities.... Birmingham is going to come a cropper, like wise most universities in the North west and North east... not to mention London when students will be descending from all over the place ... and I was looking forward to returning even one day a week to my offiice. Thank goodness UCL will not be allowing students back into the college library where my office is located.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information