Thread: Lower back pain and pooing a lot

Lower back pain and pooing a lot

Hello. Not sure if I’m posting in the right place but it would be great to hear from anyone who’s been through something similar.

I have had central lower back ache (most of the time but it varies in terms of how strong it is) for about 4 weeks now. It feels internal rather than a joint problem - movement doesn’t hurt, but stretching forwards does help relieve it momentarily.

At about the time this started, I also started needing to poo more regularly and more urgently and my tummy feels slightly upset. I am pooing soft poo about four times a day. Under normal circumstances I’d go twice and it would be soft sometimes, slightly harder other times but never hard or constipated. Sorry if too much information!

I had the same symptoms two years ago and had a blood tests and saw a back doctor and gynaecologist. Neither did any tests - mainly because by the time I saw them I was in the mend. My blood tests came back fine that time. The problem cleared up after a few weeks (finding out the blood tests were clear seemed to hasten my recovery!).

This time I also had about a week of rectal discomfort (more of an ache) interspersed with the back pain but this has cleared up.

Blood tests have all come back normal this time except one suggesting possible slight infection but no action required according to a note from the doctor. So I’m happy about that. Waiting for hormone-related blood test back as in the middle of this business I suddenly started having night sweats. I was very frightened about the sweats but they started in the lead up to my period and stopped when my period slowed down so I suspect this is a perk-menopause issue. (I’m 46 - no other peri-menopause signs but this period has limped on for nearly two weeks so I suspect this is what’s going on.)

The doctor has given me a FIT test to do but I’ve had to hold off for a week as still waiting for period to completely finish.

I haven’t seen any blood in my poo. No nausea, no bloating. Very tired though but this could be down to sleepless nights, anxiety, young children etc. I am conscious of the back pain at night which makes me restless.

I’m less worried about the night sweats now as suspect I know what’s causing them (something hormonal). The back pain/loose stools is however a constant reminder that something is not right and is showing no signs of abating. I take comfort from the fact that I had it before and recovered. But it’s gone on for 4 weeks now and I can’t think about much else. It is possible I suppose that I have a digestive problem - I do have times - maybe three weeks in a row - here and there when my tummy feels a bit upset and sore and I feel generally unwell (but no back pain in these circumstances), but it always passes so I’ve never been to the doctor about it.

Not much I can do till I am able to do the FIT test - hopefully tomorrow - but I’m feeling pretty anxious about the pain and that there is no sign of improvement. My mind is of course playing big games with me! Since I’ve had kids I seem to have something wrong with me all the time and have spent a lot of time thinking the worst.

Thank you for reading this far. Any words of support from anyone who’s had similar symptoms would be so appreciated! Thank you!

Re: Lower back pain and pooing a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Crino View Post
    Hello. Not sure if I’m posting in the right place but it would be great to hear from anyone who’s been through something similar.

I have had central lower back ache (most of the time but it varies in terms of how strong it is) for about 4 weeks now. It feels internal rather than a joint problem - movement doesn’t hurt, but stretching forwards does help relieve it momentarily.

At about the time this started, I also started needing to poo more regularly and more urgently and my tummy feels slightly upset. I am pooing soft poo about four times a day. Under normal circumstances I’d go twice and it would be soft sometimes, slightly harder other times but never hard or constipated. Sorry if too much information!

I had the same symptoms two years ago and had a blood tests and saw a back doctor and gynaecologist. Neither did any tests - mainly because by the time I saw them I was in the mend. My blood tests came back fine that time. The problem cleared up after a few weeks (finding out the blood tests were clear seemed to hasten my recovery!).

This time I also had about a week of rectal discomfort (more of an ache) interspersed with the back pain but this has cleared up.

Blood tests have all come back normal this time except one suggesting possible slight infection but no action required according to a note from the doctor. So I’m happy about that. Waiting for hormone-related blood test back as in the middle of this business I suddenly started having night sweats. I was very frightened about the sweats but they started in the lead up to my period and stopped when my period slowed down so I suspect this is a perk-menopause issue. (I’m 46 - no other peri-menopause signs but this period has limped on for nearly two weeks so I suspect this is what’s going on.)

The doctor has given me a FIT test to do but I’ve had to hold off for a week as still waiting for period to completely finish.

I haven’t seen any blood in my poo. No nausea, no bloating. Very tired though but this could be down to sleepless nights, anxiety, young children etc. I am conscious of the back pain at night which makes me restless.

I’m less worried about the night sweats now as suspect I know what’s causing them (something hormonal). The back pain/loose stools is however a constant reminder that something is not right and is showing no signs of abating. I take comfort from the fact that I had it before and recovered. But it’s gone on for 4 weeks now and I can’t think about much else. It is possible I suppose that I have a digestive problem - I do have times - maybe three weeks in a row - here and there when my tummy feels a bit upset and sore and I feel generally unwell (but no back pain in these circumstances), but it always passes so I’ve never been to the doctor about it.

Not much I can do till I am able to do the FIT test - hopefully tomorrow - but I’m feeling pretty anxious about the pain and that there is no sign of improvement. My mind is of course playing big games with me! Since I’ve had kids I seem to have something wrong with me all the time and have spent a lot of time thinking the worst.

Thank you for reading this far. Any words of support from anyone who’s had similar symptoms would be so appreciated! Thank you!
    Hello,

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well!

I don’t really have any advise but I starting getting looser Bowel movements about 3 years ago. I went from going once every 3 days to around 4 times a day with looser motions (sorry tmi!) and I have seen red blood on a few occasions. Doctors have done bloods and stool samples and no issues found, and the issue hasn’t gotten any worse particularly. I’ve read some things can just trigger IBS and I know from experience once I fixated on pain or how much I’m going it just gets worse, so maybe that could be the issue.

Also the night sweats, I get these every night on the week leading up to my period. I’m only 26 and was worried I was going into early menopause. My doctor did countless tests and confirmed my hormones are fine, apparently a pre mensural drop in hormones can cause this, and there’s lots of forums out there with hundreds of other women of all ages saying they get the same, so I guess it’s normal for some people. Mine started out of the blue but all seems to be well.

I hope you start to feel better soon. I’m sure once your samples come back negative you will start to improve xx

Re: Lower back pain and pooing a lot

Quote Originally Posted by WorriedOlive View Post
    Hello,

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well!

I don’t really have any advise but I starting getting looser Bowel movements about 3 years ago. I went from going once every 3 days to around 4 times a day with looser motions (sorry tmi!) and I have seen red blood on a few occasions. Doctors have done bloods and stool samples and no issues found, and the issue hasn’t gotten any worse particularly. I’ve read some things can just trigger IBS and I know from experience once I fixated on pain or how much I’m going it just gets worse, so maybe that could be the issue.

Also the night sweats, I get these every night on the week leading up to my period. I’m only 26 and was worried I was going into early menopause. My doctor did countless tests and confirmed my hormones are fine, apparently a pre mensural drop in hormones can cause this, and there’s lots of forums out there with hundreds of other women of all ages saying they get the same, so I guess it’s normal for some people. Mine started out of the blue but all seems to be well.

I hope you start to feel better soon. I’m sure once your samples come back negative you will start to improve xx

Thank you so much for your kind response. Interesting to hear your experiences. I think you are so right about pain getting worse if you think about it too much. My back’s been really sore today and really slowed me down/made me miserable, but I’ve dosed up on ibuprofen and had a short lie down and both have helped quite a lot. I’m tiptoeing around now hoping it doesn’t come back as strongly today!
    Getting rather sick of it.
    As for the night sweats - I was really worried as they came so out of the blue, but the extra long period has made me feel better about it strangely as it all makes more sense. Very interesting to hear that yours appeared suddenly too. I’m at the sort of age when these things can happen.
    I am wondering if the back pain could mean I have developed some kind of IBS - will discuss with doctor when I get to speak to her.
    Thanks again for your support.
    Last edited by Crino; 16-09-20 at 17:03. Reason: Added something

Thread Information