Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partner has lost sense of taste and smell

Partner has lost sense of taste and smell

Hi all, on Friday last week my youngest daughter came down with a bad cold - runny nose, sneezing and fever. The school advised to get her tested, which we did, and received a negative result on Monday. (The test is horrible for little children btw)

However over the weekend my partner started developing the same symptoms, but much more severe, and she was laid out on the sofa for Sunday and Monday.

She also developed a bad tickly cough which kept her awake a few nights, and since Monday has very poor sense of smell and taste, which is really stressing her out. She's worried now that it won't ever return as she's read online that in some people senses don't.

Now we're not sure what to do in regards to getting a test, we've been trying for the past two days to book one online, but it's hopeless atm, and they say you should book within 5 days of exhibiting symptoms.

There is a possibility it could be coronavirus, but seeing as my daughter tested negative, we're hoping it's not.

Regarding the loss of taste and smell, is this possible with a normal cold, and to last this long? She's better in herself, but still very bunged up.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Partner has lost sense of taste and smell

It can easily last this long, so don't panic.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    It can easily last this long, so don't panic.
    Even with a normal cold?? She woke me up at 2am this morning saying she couldn't sleep because she was panicking if this was coronavirus, and read up that sometimes senses never return. Think my HA has rubbed off on her...................

Quote Originally Posted by MrLurcher View Post
    Even with a normal cold?? She woke me up at 2am this morning saying she couldn't sleep because she was panicking if this was coronavirus, and read up that sometimes senses never return. Think my HA has rubbed off on her...................
    Yes. This is what happened to me and my son. I still have symptoms 10 days later. Still got a headache, stuffed up nose, bit of sore throat and coughing. It's all getting better slowly.

I've had no test. My partner spent the night in A&E with my son who fell over. She said she seen a little boy in the isolation unit who had COVID and his cough was so bad she said "Your cough was nothing like this, I don't think you had COVID".

She's probably right. This cold/flu/whatever-it-may-be is rough.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

The chances are she’s caught the bad cold your daughter had. Yes, taste and smell can be affected for quite some time when there’s an infection present in the nose. It also won’t help that she’s suffering from nasal congestion.

Colds are ridiculously common right now, I myself had to be tested last week because I developed a cough, became badly congested and lost my sense of taste and smell. The test was negative and after about a week my symptoms have improved but I’m still not 100%.

Remember the golden rule. Just because Covid-19 exists it doesn’t instantly mean that every other bug or virus just stopped existing. If this were any other year you would barely blink at these symptoms. Book a test if you can, but don’t panic, the odds of this actually being Covid-19 are tens of thousands to one.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Yes. This is what happened to me and my son. I still have symptoms 10 days later. Still got a headache, stuffed up nose, bit of sore throat and coughing. It's all getting better slowly.

I've had no test. My partner spent the night in A&E with my son who fell over. She said she seen a little boy in the isolation unit who had COVID and his cough was so bad she said "Your cough was nothing like this, I don't think you had COVID".

She's probably right. This cold/flu/whatever-it-may-be is rough.
    Thanks for the reply, sounds like a similar situation to us at the moment. Reassuring to know that there's other bad colds doing the rounds as well as the covid.

The negative result for my daughter should be a sign that it's not Covid as well.

She's just stressed out now because of the whole taste/smell thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    The chances are she’s caught the bad cold your daughter had. Yes, taste and smell can be affected for quite some time when there’s an infection present in the nose. It also won’t help that she’s suffering from nasal congestion.

Colds are ridiculously common right now, I myself had to be tested last week because I developed a cough, became badly congested and lost my sense of taste and smell. The test was negative and after about a week my symptoms have improved but I’m still not 100%.

Remember the golden rule. Just because Covid-19 exists it doesn’t instantly mean that every other bug or virus just stopped existing. If this were any other year you would barely blink at these symptoms. Book a test if you can, but don’t panic, the odds of this actually being Covid-19 are tens of thousands to one.
    Thanks Gary, yeah I know there are other things doing the rounds, just this matches the Covid brief!

Like I said above, she's mostly stressed about the taste/smell thing, as most would be I suppose. Not a pleasant thing.

We've decided not to get another test for now. How soon after symptoms started did you get the test?

Thanks for the reply, sounds like a similar situation to us at the moment. Reassuring to know that there's other bad colds doing the rounds as well as the covid.

The negative result for my daughter should be a sign that it's not Covid as well.

She's just stressed out now because of the whole taste/smell thing.
    I lost my taste and smell. It's came back now though, not 100% but it's getting there. I can now smell the yankee candles at least.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Thanks Gary, yeah I know there are other things doing the rounds, just this matches the Covid brief!

Like I said above, she's mostly stressed about the taste/smell thing, as most would be I suppose. Not a pleasant thing.

We've decided not to get another test for now. How soon after symptoms started did you get the test?
    The same day, a Sunday as well. There’s a testing site 5 minutes drive from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Site for kids, but it explains how a cold can affect your sense of taste:

https://kidshealth.org/en/kids/taste-buds.html

TRIGGER WARNING

A loss of taste and smell can also be a first sign of Parkinson's Disease, as my sister-in-law was later to discover. She thought it was just the after-effects of a very heavy cold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information