Thread: Venlafaxine 75Mg Side Effects

Venlafaxine 75Mg Side Effects

Hi

Hope you can help.
    My GP has had me on Venlafaxine 75Mg for Nearly 8 months now and mentally its really helped me and given me back my confidence and helped me deal with my Generalized and Health Anxieties along with relaxation which before was very
    hard .
    I've been on may different tablets Prozac/Sertraline/Citilopram over the years and this is the one thats really improved my quality of life mentally so in that respect i am so grateful.

However I have recently been getting sore mouth and tongue and throat that comes and goes on a daily basis and i have asked the Dr and they just dismissed it but is this a likely side effect of the drug as i cant find a conclusive link.
    My mind is as finding it hard to attribute it to me taking these tablets and the Dr doesn't seem interested in investigating but its hard not to be concerned when your mouth is hurting .

Any help or personal experience of this would be gratefully received.

Gratefully Appreciated

Damian T

Re: Venlafaxine 75Mg Side Effects

Quote Originally Posted by damiant View Post
    Hi

Hope you can help.
    My GP has had me on Venlafaxine 75Mg for Nearly 8 months now and mentally its really helped me and given me back my confidence and helped me deal with my Generalized and Health Anxieties along with relaxation which before was very
    hard .
    I've been on may different tablets Prozac/Sertraline/Citilopram over the years and this is the one thats really improved my quality of life mentally so in that respect i am so grateful.

However I have recently been getting sore mouth and tongue and throat that comes and goes on a daily basis and i have asked the Dr and they just dismissed it but is this a likely side effect of the drug as i cant find a conclusive link.
    My mind is as finding it hard to attribute it to me taking these tablets and the Dr doesn't seem interested in investigating but its hard not to be concerned when your mouth is hurting .

Any help or personal experience of this would be gratefully received.

Gratefully Appreciated

Damian T
    Hi Damiant, I have the exact same problems, i take citalopram & lanzoprazole for silent reflux & strangely enough i’ve just answered someone else on the forum who’s having the same problems. I just don’t know what to make of these constant feelings in right side of throat, tongue, roof of mouth, i wake up with the feeling at back of throat everyday & have done for months & months, then it continues through the day. I’ve taken citalopram of & on for years & never experienced it then. I mentioned to dr about lanzoprazole & could it cause this but all they said was they’ve never heard of it before. Sorry i’m not much help to you.

Thanks for your feedback , its a very weird feeling in your mouth but mine verges on pain but without medical help or coming off the drug i guess we will never know if these feelings/sensation are to do with the drug itself or because of the combinations.
    Interestingly you said your on Lanzoprazole for reflux.
    I am also on Esomeprazole a similar drug for the same thing so i guess its not outside the realms of possibility the side effects could be similar or the interactions with your antidepressant.

Thanks for taking the time to comment

Damian

This is possibly glossodynia, aka oral dysaesthesia, commonly called burning-mouth syndrome which is a potential side-effect of many antidepressants and other psychiatric medication. Not all perceive it as a burning sensation, but more as generalised soreness. Alpha-lipoic acid and/or magnesium supplements may help.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    This is possibly glossodynia, aka oral dysaesthesia, commonly called burning-mouth syndrome which is a potential side-effect of many antidepressants and other psychiatric medication. Not all perceive it as a burning sensation, but more as generalised soreness. Alpha-lipoic acid and/or magnesium supplements may help.
    Thanks pdu thats very interesting i never knew that was a side effect with ad’s, would you know if lanzoprazole could cause that also. I’m definitely going to try some magnesium.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmum View Post
    would you know if lanzoprazole could cause that also.
    It isn't a listed side-effect, but sore throat is.

I’m definitely going to try some magnesium.
    Maybe a good idea anyway as hypomagnesemia is also a listed potential side-effect, as is cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12) deficiency. Terry is NMP's magnesium guru so ask him about the best supplement options.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    It isn't a listed side-effect, but sore throat is.

Maybe a good idea anyway as hypomagnesemia is also a listed potential side-effect, as is cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12) deficiency. Terry is NMP's magnesium guru so ask him about the best supplement options.
    Thanks for replying PDU

Thanks for the very helpful feedback and pointers i appreciate it .
    Ill source some Magnesium, is there a particular type that is better for absorption etc ?
    To add ive decided to get my mouth checked by the dentist(when i can get an appointment) because its a little tricky atm although im not panicking as believe its linked to the drugs/anxiety .

Thanks again

Damian

Ill source some Magnesium, is there a particular type that is better for absorption etc ?
    Avoid magnesium hydroxide, oxide and sulphate as they have low bio availability. Magnesium citrate is probably the most popular, but it can act as a laxative in some as may the carbonite form. Most of the others are okay. Magnesium glycinate supposedly is the most bio available and to be least likely to induce diarrhoea, but I understand it can be more expensive. Whether it is worth the extra I can't say. Fwiw, I take magnesium for muscle cramps and am currently on magnesium taurate because it was on special at the time of purchase. It seems to work well enough.

Don't go overboard on dosing as too much can cause imbalances with other minerals, especially calcium. Around 300mg elemental magnesium daily should be okay long term, but check with your GP the next time you see him/her. Note: supplements should state two doses, the quantity of the magnesium type and also how much elemental magnesium this is equivalent to. The two doses are sometimes printed on different areas of the label, presumably to confuse and confound us mere mortals for marketing purposes.

PM Terry, MyNameIsTerry, if you need more info as he knows more about magnesium and what is available in the UK than I do.

Great information ill take it easy with the dosing in case of issues ! thanks for the tips

Thread Information