Thread: Separating HA from real health issues

Separating HA from real health issues

Hi again,

I'm seeing my GP on Tuesday for a scheduled appointment to get blood test results (trying to be optimistic) and can't decide whether to talk to her about something or not.

I've had some tummy issues for a the past few months and nagging pain on one side near my hip. Logic tells me this is probably IBS and perimenopause, but HA nags "what if it's..." The shape of my tummy has also changed, especially on that side. I think this is due to weight loss and regain, but...

I can't decide whether to raise this with my GP or not. I really want to stop being that person who asks about everything and ends up spending a fortune on unnecessary tests, but do I how to balance this with not ignoring a potential real issue?

Or is it a case of raising things and putting faith in the GP's opinion?

If only this HA recovery thing came with a handbook!

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Re: Separating HA from real health issues

You're there anyway, so run it past her.

If this is a new symptom for you, and you can't rationalise it by connecting it to over-stretching in yoga or whatever, and it persists, it's common sense to run it past your GP.

What you don't do, is catastrophise in the meantime.

This is my policy with new, and persistent, symptoms because I figure my GP needs to earn that posh car on the carpark!

Tell yourself that you have this symptom and you've acknowledged it. You are going to mention it to your GP, but you're not going to dwell on it. You're not going to give your mind free reign with this. You are going to be rational, and you're certainly not going to Google. You are going to get on with your life.

Thanks Nora. That's good advice as always. Better to make that decision to raise it and resolve not dwell on it until I talk to her than spend between now and Tuesday wrestling with whether to say something or not!

I agree with Nora too..Get her to have a feel of the area and take her opinion on board. Don't ask anyone else about it and don't use google as soon as you get home just in case it comes up with any "alternative" opinions/diagnoses which she "may not have thought about" (despite her years of training)...

If you don't mention it you will google it and bingo..

You can stay in control of your HA, Carrie x

Oh yeah, the old get home and Google is one of my worst habits. It's the reason why I have a database of medical information in my head that my HA feeds off! Thanks for the reminder

Hi again, I saw the GP and she checked my tummy. Said she can't feel anything. I had a pelvic u/s back in Feb 2019 due to similar pain and it was normal. She said she doesn't want to send me for more tests that might make my anxiety worse and she's not concerned. She said to come back if it gets worse in the next two weeks. I said that was fine and I'll do that. My bloods were good, except I think my blood protein was just outside the normal range again. I saw it on the screen but she didn't mention it so I'm not heading back down that rabbit hole. One day at a time. Thanks again for helping me through this.

Good. So accept this and don't start overthinking things.

You're doing great!

Well done, Carrie...Significant progress! Stick to your words!

Thread Information