Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I can't believe it's been 6 months... feeling discouraged.

Re: I can't believe it's been 6 months... feeling discouraged.

If our government and those advising them put more emphasis on testing from the early days of this virus then perhaps the so called “covidiots” wouldn’t be a problem.

Our government have failed us, our scientists have been wishy washy with their advice and now, in order to deflect blame they’re trying to blame the general public. No doubt some folk are flouting the rules, but the failures of those tasked with dealing with this type of thing are becoming more evident with each day that passes.

I’ve stood up for them, I’ve sympathised with the difficulty in their task, but no, at a certain point these people need to hold their hands up and admit they’ve handled this appallingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I'm gonna third what Pulisa and Gary have already said, Lencoboy.

Echoing Pulisa's post;

Ignore the numbers.

Ignore the idiots beyond your home, including friends - you'll not change them.

Above all: Do what is best for you.
    Thank you too PM.
    I'm having an early night tonight.
    Speak to you all tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    If our government and those advising them put more emphasis on testing from the early days of this virus then perhaps the so called “covidiots” wouldn’t be a problem.

Our government have failed us, our scientists have been wishy washy with their advice and now, in order to deflect blame they’re trying to blame the general public. No doubt some folk are flouting the rules, but the failures of those tasked with dealing with this type of thing are becoming more evident with each day that passes.

I’ve stood up for them, I’ve sympathised with the difficulty in their task, but no, at a certain point these people need to hold their hands up and admit they’ve handled this appallingly.
    More than anything else, this pandemic has shown up just how piss-poor a single-issue government, filled with people chosen only for their loyalty to an elite idiot who holds the electorate in total contempt and who thinks a few bits of cod Latin and a mop of dishevelled hair is all he needed to get by with, actually is.

Still, as long as the racists get their blue passports and the forrins kicked out, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Thank you too PM.
    I'm having an early night tonight.
    Speak to you all tomorrow.
    As am I, LB.

There is no single government in the west that has handled this in a systematic way - with the exception of the Swedes and the New Zealanders who are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Ministers are just that - they are not scientists - and the scientists from whom our government has taken its advice and guidance leave a lot to be desired - so called SAGE not to mention the infamous Ferguson model.Positive tests are not de facto 'cases' - the majority of them at present are in younger age groups, mostly asymptomatic, lots of the spread coming back from those who have come back from holidays abroad, and a lot of inter-household mingling... it was inevitable that positive tests would increase as lockdown was eased and people started to relax and go about their business again. Even so, the numbers we are seeing so gleefully spewed out on every MSM (and don't forget the MSM was positively itching for the second wave), when taken in their proper context are but a fraction of those that were (as it turned out) under-reported back in February and March. This is just what viruses do ... wax and wane ... and we should all just get a grip and calm down ... stop watching the news and hysterical expert opinion of the MSM.

Lencoboy, I agree with what has been said because I'm a bit like you. I've been scouring multiple sources, reading about cases, symptoms, vaccines etc ad nauseum. Its created a lot of friction between me and my wife and daughter. With a wife having underlying health conditions and a daughter in a public facing job, my anxiety has been tested big time. I go from hope to despair and back again. But I know deep down that surfing the web for answers is making me worse, we can't control what others do and somehow we have to accept that, its not easy. I've even accused my daughter of not doing enough to protect her mother which is very unfair. Its anxiety driving that but still no excuse.

Yesterday wife and me had our flu jabs. We were about to drive away from the medical centre car park when someone who knows Mrs F shoves her face right up to my wife's open window, barely a foot away. That's the kind of ignorance we are up against, just after we had navigated the medical centre all masked up. I felt like punching the woman but when I thought about it afterwards, I think we are all capable of letting our guard down. This virus is playing havoc with us all. Look after yourself Lencoboy, and the same to everyone else on this forum.

Yeah, all we can do is be as careful as we can, and try to gently persuade others to be as cautious as possible. The problem with those of us who have anxiety is that we want to control the world so that we feel better...but this is one of those situations where we can do so much. Yesterday was Yom Kippur, and for those of you not familiar with Jewish holidays, it's one we spend in prayer for the new year. Almost every rabbi I saw on TV, and almost every person I saw that shared their thoughts, expressed something along the likes of "please let me worry about the things I can change, and not worry about the things I can't."

I also think with everyone stressed, they tend to make poor decisions. When I get angry, I have to remind myself to assume people have the best intentions. That lady at the window was probably so excited to see your wife, FM, that she didn't even think. Today in class I started to get really upset at a student who's only turned in 2 assignments in 2 months, and then after talking to them in a private chat, I realized how much they are struggling. We all just have to be there for each other.

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    There is no single government in the west that has handled this in a systematic way - with the exception of the Swedes and the New Zealanders who are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Ministers are just that - they are not scientists - and the scientists from whom our government has taken its advice and guidance leave a lot to be desired - so called SAGE not to mention the infamous Ferguson model.Positive tests are not de facto 'cases' - the majority of them at present are in younger age groups, mostly asymptomatic, lots of the spread coming back from those who have come back from holidays abroad, and a lot of inter-household mingling... it was inevitable that positive tests would increase as lockdown was eased and people started to relax and go about their business again. Even so, the numbers we are seeing so gleefully spewed out on every MSM (and don't forget the MSM was positively itching for the second wave), when taken in their proper context are but a fraction of those that were (as it turned out) under-reported back in February and March. This is just what viruses do ... wax and wane ... and we should all just get a grip and calm down ... stop watching the news and hysterical expert opinion of the MSM.
    I agree with dorabella. The government are one thing but if the party differed wouldn't the experts still be the same? Wouldn't the same civil servants be pulling the strings? Whilst these very dubious 'advisors' are going to differ why would a new broom come in and boot out the chief of the NHS?

I'm cautious on this. It's all well and good to blame the front bench but I think a full investigation is needed so we can see who steered the decisions. Just like any big corporate CEO you'll find they are nudged towards certain strategies as much of the time they don't do detail.

Yes, it's been a mess. Do I think Corbyn would have been better? Well, no, he's not good at decisions so it's back to the anti Cummings who is just as nasty (or was). But the real people who know what they are doing would be the same and they need investigating too.

Anyway, in my cynical mind we could spend millions in perks to some toffs to conduct an enquiry to a) scapegoat some 'lower downs' b) get someone to fall on their sword...then suddenly get a peerage or c) feck all...like the last big enquiry.

Does anyone think I could pull this new mask off?

https://www.ok.co.uk/lifestyle/fashi...dress-22742513

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    Some very rational analysis there Dora.

You're probably correct in the sense that apart from the odd one or two countries (e.g, NZ) no govt nor scientific advisors anywhere in the world have really got to grips with this pandemic so far, especially as policies and rules keep chopping and changing virtually every other day. Little wonder the general public feel confused, though there are always certain factions who like to play games by being 'daredevils', being in denial about the virus and peddling anti-vaxx nonsense, whilst accusing the authorities of dictatorship and fascism.

It still baffles me as to 'holidays abroad' have been mostly glossed over as being a significant driver of infections of late, whilst pubs, restaurants, workplaces, schools, unis etc are receiving widespread negative publicity ATM. Smacks of blatant confirmation bias IMO, in order to appease the serial jet-setters. Surely being confined in aeroplanes carries the same risks as being confined in theatres and live music concerts, which we are still being deprived of.

Regarding your quotes about MSM and the like, I personally think on occasions too much information can do more damage than it can solve, especially if it's false. The hysterical lingo used even by legit publications only fans the flames all the more IMO.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 30-09-20 at 09:32.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information