Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with feeling low and worthless

Unhappy Struggling with feeling low and worthless

I feel like I'm just in a bad place right now. I was feeling not too bad, I have a trip coming up (rented a cabin in the middle of nowhere) and am almost done paying off some debts. But within like the last month it has all just gone sour.

I was trying to find a house to purchase; I don't have a huge budget being that it's just me and I have a regular admin job, but my dad is in construction so I am comfortable with a fixer upper. I put in a couple of offers on houses but they fell through. I told myself it's fine, the right house will come along eventually but all of my closest friends have all now purchased houses. Two of them have really, really nice houses - one is married to an eye doctor and the other in a relationship with a dentist - so it's not like they themselves were able to afford nice places (which might make it easier).

Which of course brings me to my next downer: relationships. I am not in one. All of my friends are. One, I just learned, is going to become engaged next weekend (right in the middle of my vacation - yay). I'm happy for her, really, I just feel so lame and pathetic in return. I dated some pre-pandemic but now it's of course nearly impossible to go out at all and I'm not great at online dating.

My brother has been married for a few years and has a baby, and a nice house (which they are about to sell to buy a nicer house) so I feel super inadequate compared to him as well.

This weekend, I asked my dad what he wanted for Christmas and he said "I want you to go on a date. Why can't you date? You're almost 30 (will be next August) and you're not perfect, just go out with someone!" which just really sucked and drove me farther into my personal hole.

What's worse is that my vacation was supposed to be a solo trip, just me and my dog, but my mom really wanted to come along so I said it was fine if they did. And I'm happy for them to, it just makes me feel extra pathetic to go on vacation with my parents.

It just feels awful and like everywhere I turn a new door is slammed in my face. I feel so awful and stuck and pathetic and hopeless. There is nothing about my life that would make someone say "wow, she's doing well". Nothing to remotely brag about. I live in a tiny house in the bad part of town, alone, except for my dog that has major anxiety himself and therefore pretty much everyone hates.

Honestly, I'm struggling to even be happy for my friends when they achieve things, which I know is super bitter. And I so hate the idea of having to watch my friend get proposed to while I'm sitting in a cabin with my parents on what is supposed to be my vacation. So I'm not even a good person on top of this.

Anyway, I just needed to rant. It's been rough going.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: Struggling with feeling low and worthless

Your feelings are perfectly understandable, as it’s totally normal to compare yourself to other people. But, in the US, especially in the day and age of social media, I think we sometimes go too far in comparing ourselves to others, in almost an overly competitive way. We all move through life at our own pace, and take different steps at different times. You should focus on what makes you happy, not how it relates to others.

Also, as a side note, I think not being married at age 30 is completely normal nowadays.

Enjoy your trip to the cabin! It sounds like a beautiful way to spend autumn days.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm really looking forward to the trip and hoping that it is restful.

It's definitely hard to not compare myself to other people, constantly. I think part of it is because I'm ultimately not happy where I am and generally feel like I should be doing more and/or different things.

Poppy, you're one of the nicest people on here. I really envy your kind and friendly spirit (also your dog).

For what it's worth, I was 30 before I got my first permanent job; sometimes these things take time, and that's okay. Not sure what else to say other than that I think you're brilliant.

You have a lot going on, and the world has a lot going on too which makes everything else seem worse because so many things are stuck in limbo.

Try not to compare your life to others. In many ways they may be jealous of you too!

I’m sorry your a dad said that about dating. Sometimes our parents want to talk to us and it comes out so wrong! I’m sure he only wants you to be happy.

Maybe you could write yourself a plan of all the things that you’d like to achievement also all the things you have achieved. And don’t sell yourself short either! I hope you have a great holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Poppy, you're one of the nicest people on here. I really envy your kind and friendly spirit (also your dog).

For what it's worth, I was 30 before I got my first permanent job; sometimes these things take time, and that's okay. Not sure what else to say other than that I think you're brilliant.
    Thank you, this is so kind of you to say! It's very difficult to not compare ourselves to what is a "typical" timeline, but it is important to remember that everyone moves through life on their own course.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    You have a lot going on, and the world has a lot going on too which makes everything else seem worse because so many things are stuck in limbo.

Try not to compare your life to others. In many ways they may be jealous of you too!

I’m sorry your a dad said that about dating. Sometimes our parents want to talk to us and it comes out so wrong! I’m sure he only wants you to be happy.

Maybe you could write yourself a plan of all the things that you’d like to achievement also all the things you have achieved. And don’t sell yourself short either! I hope you have a great holiday.
    Stuck in limbo is a good way to describe things. "Stuck" in general is kind of how I'm feeling. I was about to finish my master's course in student development and intern with universities, but then covid hit and people were getting furloughed left and right, so I stuck with my current job, which is safe. I don't know when I'll pick back up again.

My dad can be...complicated. He's not happy with my brother either, and in my eyes he is very successful! So I have to tell myself that his opinion is just that, an opinion. The challenge for me is that I'm not personally​ happy with myself right now, which is something I need to address.

I just wanted to update.

I went on my trip. It was fun. I think I would have enjoyed it more alone, without my parents tagging along. For one thing, we stopped at a rest stop and while I was in the restroom they managed to drop my dog's leash and were chasing him everywhere as he ran in fear (near a busy interstate!) looking for me. I was also worried a lot of the time that we were all going to to develop COVID and it would be my fault, even though we were isolated and taking all precautions.

I got back and threw myself into work, but found out that my second job that I work occasionally to pad the pockets has my account suspended. I believe it is because I took off for 2 weeks without updating my schedule or telling my supervisor (a new rule). So I've contacted my supervisor twice and haven't gotten a response; emailed HR earlier today and nothing yet. It's got me feeling awful, even though it doesn't pay super spectacularly - especially as I've slowed way down due to COVID fears - and I can certainly find something else to help with some extra income. Still.

Anyway, just trying to take things one day at a time. My friend got engaged and it has been nonstop engagement/wedding talk; another friend is starting in on it too as she expects her boyfriend to propose, leaving me the odd single woman out. It's a bummer too, because I'm super reluctant to go to dress fittings due to COVID fears (my friends are not being careful at all) and I can't imagine her having any kind of a bachelorette party that I would feel comfortable attending.

So, I wanted to come back to this thread as I am currently attending my friend’s bachelorette party. It’s not been pleasant, I still feel pretty terrible. For one thing, no one really cares much for Covid especially where we are, but I am still very concerned about it which makes me the odd one out. I’m also not drinking too much because I get hungover and I just can’t deal with that, but I feel like it makes me a buzzkill. We are going out tonight and I’m just counting down the hours until we can get back because I don’t want to go out at all. I’m tired and I don’t want to be around strange people. But I didn’t go out last night either since I had a migraine.

Also, my other friend just won’t stop talking about how she’s “wifed up” now (they’re not even engaged yet), wanting to plan all of these couples trips with my other friends even though I’m single and wouldn’t partake, also also continuously goes on about his family is “good with money” (rich) and that she’s going to be retired by 40 - she doesn’t even work now, she was fired from her last job.

so yes, I am a wet blanket. I had some fun today as we went out boating but honestly I just need personal space and I can’t wait to go home.

No you're not a wet blanket...It all sounds really ghastly and I don't blame you for wanting out. I'd be the same. Materialistic people are very shallow and insecure. Stick to your values and don't feel you're "odd" for being kind and sensible. Not everyone wants or tries to be the life and soul of the party and the loud ones are often those most trying desperately to impress others but not quite succeeding.

Hope you can escape to some normality soon and well done for going in the first place despite it being really uncomfortable for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information