Thread: Really strange symptoms - scared!

Really strange symptoms - scared!

Hi everyone,

So I have been having some strange symptoms for a while now. It all started with forgetting how to swallow for a second. That went away. Then came the feeling of having food and water come up to the back of my nose. I can’t tell if this is actually happening or me being hyper aware. If this is ACTUALLY happening then there is no explanation for it except a neuro disorder. I also felt all snorty when talking - like peppa pig lol. Apparently that’s all a symptom related to the swallowing and both are symptoms of soft palate weakness. Anyway, the snortiness is kind of there but not always. Last night I woke up with my tongue in between my teeth. It hurt a bit but I wasn’t sure if I bit it or if I was just rolling it in between my teeth. I forgot about the incident up til a little while ago when I started feeling pain in that area. Naturally I’m worrying about having a seizure while asleep as there is no other darned explanation for tongue biting during sleep. I am SO sick n tired of this. Nothing is helping. Therapy helps for a bit but then I get obsessive again. I have a hard time believing the doc. I tried online therapy but that also took too long. I even enrolled myself in a CBT course to give myself therapy lol! I couldn’t follow through with that as I am back to work now. I feel like all my symptoms are neuro related. Please help

Re: Really strange symptoms - scared!

Quote Originally Posted by katniss View Post
    Hi everyone,

So I have been having some strange symptoms for a while now. It all started with forgetting how to swallow for a second. That went away. Then came the feeling of having food and water come up to the back of my nose. I can’t tell if this is actually happening or me being hyper aware. If this is ACTUALLY happening then there is no explanation for it except a neuro disorder. I also felt all snorty when talking - like peppa pig lol. Apparently that’s all a symptom related to the swallowing and both are symptoms of soft palate weakness. Anyway, the snortiness is kind of there but not always. Last night I woke up with my tongue in between my teeth. It hurt a bit but I wasn’t sure if I bit it or if I was just rolling it in between my teeth. I forgot about the incident up til a little while ago when I started feeling pain in that area. Naturally I’m worrying about having a seizure while asleep as there is no other darned explanation for tongue biting during sleep. I am SO sick n tired of this. Nothing is helping. Therapy helps for a bit but then I get obsessive again. I have a hard time believing the doc. I tried online therapy but that also took too long. I even enrolled myself in a CBT course to give myself therapy lol! I couldn’t follow through with that as I am back to work now. I feel like all my symptoms are neuro related. Please help
    I have highlighted the clues.

I suspect you are spending more time Googling symptoms than actively practicing recovery.

Therapy isn't a quick fix. Obsessing and researching symptoms IS a quick way to misery though.

If you want to get better, stop making excuses and reasons as to why you can't.

Hi everyone,

So I have been having some strange symptoms for a while now. It all started with forgetting how to swallow for a second. That went away. Then came the feeling of having food and water come up to the back of my nose. I can’t tell if this is actually happening or me being hyper aware. If this is ACTUALLY happening then there is no explanation for it except a neuro disorder.
    What kind of neuro disorder would that be?

I also felt all snorty when talking - like peppa pig lol. Apparently that’s all a symptom related to the swallowing and both are symptoms of soft palate weakness.
    Or you have a bit of catarrh? Sometimes I struggle to swallow with mine. Have to throw some hot tea down my clacker, eh!

Last night I woke up with my tongue in between my teeth.
    Mine's always jammed up by my teeth. It's one of my tension spots, that, my lower back and my buttocks.

Naturally I’m worrying about having a seizure while asleep as there is no other darned explanation for tongue biting during sleep.
    I'll stop you there, cocker...

There are many explanations for this - including muscle spasms or Bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching) but you have HA so you won't be interested in the most common, and most likely cause.

I feel like all my symptoms are neuro related. Please help
    They're most likely anxiety related...

Thank you. But honestly I’m just worried now. I have started coughing after eating and drinking. Then it’s the food and drink going to my nose. Like honestly wth! Could this really JUST be anxiety? The coughing is really scaring me as it can mean a neuro disorder as the brain is not closing the top of the trachea during swallowing. Sometimes I’m just bewildered that my symptoms are SO real and can only be linked to the most scariest diseases.

You really need to stop reading stuff on the internet.

I have started coughing after eating and drinking. Then it’s the food and drink going to my nose. Like honestly wth!
    Anxiety can play havoc with swallowing etc for sure, but this sounds a lot like GERD (acid reflux) to me?

The coughing is really scaring me as it can mean a neuro disorder as the brain is not closing the top of the trachea during swallowing.
    Google perchance?

Coughing is a symptom of GERD, which can be treated effectively with medication (and diet) and it ain't life threatening. My husband has episodes of it when he's been on the beer - he coughs a lot - I shift him into the other room - he drinks a pint of milk, or some Gaviscon, then he starts snoring again...

Have you tried any over-the-counter stuff to see if it helps any?

Have you been hammering the spicy food or carbonated drinks lately? Taking a look at our diets can be very helpful..

Anxiety can cause all manner of symptoms, but not every symptom is down to anxiety. This may well be a bout of GERD or something similar - which is very common with anxious people.

I know a LOT of people with these symptoms and not one of them has been diagnosed with anything more than acid reflux...

I'd be running this one past my GP, because it's common sense. My husband saw his GP, and was given meds and advice about making the bed higher at one end etc.

You need to stop terrifying yourself on Google because your brain will totally ignore the most likely cause and will focus on the most scariest.

Dr google is not a reliable source of information.

Thread Information