Thread: Neck Popping/clicking at base of skull

Neck Popping/clicking at base of skull

Hello everyone. Haven't posted for a while but am a lurker always
    Was hoping someone could relate to this or offer feedback. For 2 weeks now I'm getting these random sharp popping/cracks of my neck near the base of my skull. It is usually with a side movement of the neck and can happen on either side and seems to be migrating around slightly but always in the same top/base of skull area. Just one sharpt pop/crack at a time but so far no pain. I've been to the chiropractor twice and mentioned it but he didnt even discuss it with me or seem bothered at all..just gave me an adjustment and sent me off. I'm a cracky person generally but not in this particular area at the skull base. Starting to go down the rabbit hole of neck/spinal tumour and getting a bit worked up. Would a chiropractor be able to tell if something odd was going on inside your neck at this spot without an x-ray? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Re: Neck Popping/clicking at base of skull

This 'popping' is due to synovial fluid which lubricates the joints, or it's a ligament issue, or arthritis (wear and tear) if you're middle-aged and knackered like me.

Neck/spinal tumours would be creating some major neurological symptoms which I presume you don't have?

Thankyou for your reply I appreciate it. It all helps to calm t he nerves. No I don't have any pain or neurological stuff going on. Just a HA mind in overdrive x

Between age and Head and Neck cancer treatment, if I pay attention, it sounds like I'm crinkling paper when I turn my head from side to side Heck, most of my joints sound that way if I pay attention!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Between age and Head and Neck cancer treatment, if I pay attention, it sounds like I'm crinkling paper when I turn my head from side to side Heck, most of my joints sound that way if I pay attention!

Positive thoughts
    It sounds like somebody is scrunching a crisp packet when I move mine, and my neck is more 'pop' than not..

It's most likely the result of years of manual labour on top of the normal ageing process. I mean, heaving big heavy slabs of wet clay onto machines (I was the only female labourer on that weight) what can go wrong?

Thread Information