Thread: Question about first periods

Question about first periods

My daughter, who's 12 (will be 13 in a few weeks) has just started her periods. She got her first one about 5 weeks ago and is now having her second one.
    It started last Saturday and she mentioned tonight that she's still bleeding.
    Maybe I'm wrong here but I always thought that periods only last a few days when a girl first gets them. Today is day 5 and I'm just a little concerned that it's not normal to last this long.
    Do any of you ladies know if this is normal or not?

Re: Question about first periods

No, they can last as long as 8 days, but can skips months in the 1.5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    No, they can last as long as 8 days, but can skips months in the 1.5 years.
    Ah thanks for that!!!
    I knew they could skips months for the first year or so but didn't realise it could last up to 8 days.
    I'll just keep an eye on her for the next few days to make sure it eases off

Mine were always 7 days in the early years and my daughter's were very heavy the first year or so. Her paediatrician (my daughter has a disability) said anything can be expected in the early days until the body gets into it's rhythm. She even told me girls of that age aren't always even ovulating yet so things can be very unpredictable to start. I wouldn't worry.

Just following on from this post a few months ago, my daughter has had her periods now for about 6 months. She got a period about 9 days ago - I know this because we happened to have a joke we both got it on the same day. She had a shower this morning and I noticed by the wrappers in the bathroom bin that she put on a sanitary towel after it. (I didn't go looking for it, just noticed it when I put something in the bin myself). That would make it 9 days since she started this one. Is this normal? Can this happen during the first year?

BGirl... best to let this go and not let your daughter recognize your concern. The last thing you want is passing along your HA.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I hear what you're saying, and there's no way I was going to talk to her about it.
    But just a while ago she came into me and said she wanted to ask me something. She asked is it normal for a period to pause? As in, to stop for a few days and start again? She said it stopped a couple of days ago for 2 or 3 days but started again yesterday. It's not as heavy as when she first gets her period. I told her it's nothing to worry about, these things can happen, especially during the first year or so while her body settles down.
    I didn't show her I have any bit of worry about it so she's happy out now, not even thinking about it.

I'm trying hard to work on this one, to just let it go. I'm trying to not give in to the anxiety it's causing but that's easier said than done.

in the first couple years, periods are wonky. End of story. The problem here is you, mom. You gotta let this go.

Yes, what Antsyvee said, they are irregular and can take years to settle down when they first start - there is only one problem here and thats your level of concern. Its periods, its hormones - its natural, thats it. Buy some books/borrow some books to read yourself and for her.

Thread Information