Thread: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

I think this is a legitimate concern and not just HA. I am looking for your opinions, support and reassurance, though I'm not sure if I can be reassured. It's done now and I can't go back.

I and my 11 your old son were both given a glaucoma test which involved a tiny probe touching the white of the eye. Naturally, because I am highly aware of germs, I asked him if it was disinfected or disposable probes. He told me they were disinfected with alcohol and I saw them sitting in a jar in alcohol. I saw him switch to new probes before touching our eyes so I felt safe.

Later I researched about vCJD being transmitted through those probes and if alcohol was strong enough to kill vCJD as I know prions are very difficult to kill.

It turns out that alcohol is not recommended and in fact enables the prion to bind to the probe and now I am scared to death that I have been transmitted vCJD and worse my son has to. I really wish I would have told him to wait until I researched this more then I would have refused that test.

I don't know how I'm going to live with this information in my head. vCJD can take years to appear. I or my son may not even have it but I don't know for sure and I'm worried sick. I feel like we are now at higher risk.

How can I live peacefully knowing this? I don't know what to do.
    Last edited by bosmerbeauty; 24-09-20 at 15:54.

Thread Information