Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

I think this is a legitimate concern and not just HA. I am looking for your opinions, support and reassurance, though I'm not sure if I can be reassured. It's done now and I can't go back.

I and my 11 your old son were both given a glaucoma test which involved a tiny probe touching the white of the eye. Naturally, because I am highly aware of germs, I asked him if it was disinfected or disposable probes. He told me they were disinfected with alcohol and I saw them sitting in a jar in alcohol. I saw him switch to new probes before touching our eyes so I felt safe.

Later I researched about vCJD being transmitted through those probes and if alcohol was strong enough to kill vCJD as I know prions are very difficult to kill.

It turns out that alcohol is not recommended and in fact enables the prion to bind to the probe and now I am scared to death that I have been transmitted vCJD and worse my son has to. I really wish I would have told him to wait until I researched this more then I would have refused that test.

I don't know how I'm going to live with this information in my head. vCJD can take years to appear. I or my son may not even have it but I don't know for sure and I'm worried sick. I feel like we are now at higher risk.

How can I live peacefully knowing this? I don't know what to do.
    Last edited by bosmerbeauty; 24-09-20 at 15:54.

Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

You're not researching, you're doing random searching on Google. Don't kid yourself, and don't do it.

Bosmerbeauty

Definitely not a legitimate concern and most definitely your HA. The only way to "live with this information" is to challenge your thinking. The odds of you contracting this from this procedure are so incredibly low, like infinitely low.

Best Wishes

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by NotDeadYet View Post
    Bosmerbeauty

Definitely not a legitimate concern and most definitely your HA. The only way to "live with this information" is to challenge your thinking. The odds of you contracting this from this procedure are so incredibly low, like infinitely low.

Best Wishes
    Exactly. Your odds are the same as winning the lottery, if not lower.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    You're not researching, you're doing random searching on Google. Don't kid yourself, and don't do it.
    Regardless, the documentation I found confirmed that alcohol would not kill the prions and vCJD was transmissible through probes not properly disinfected ie: using alcohol.

Agree with the others. This is a kin to rabies from ninja bats.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Exactly. Your odds are the same as winning the lottery, if not lower.
    I felt that way before having this procedure. Now I feel the odds are much higher.

That's because anxiety makes people delusional. I've been there myself so I'm not judging you, but you really need to accept your own faulty thinking patterns.

That's because anxiety makes people delusional. I've been there myself so I'm not judging you, but you really need to accept your own faulty thinking patterns.
    I don't know how it's delusional. The very real fact is that the probe he used in our eyes was not clean and we are at a higher risk now of contracting this illness. If vCJD was on the probes, we are absolutely at risk or even have it now. It doesn't seem delusional to see the risk involved here.

Okay, I'm out. I've been trying to help but if you're happier in your HA place then there's not a lot that I or anybody here can do.

One last piece of advice (from somebody who, as I've stated, has been there) - stay away from Google so you don't find out anything else that'll trigger you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information