Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    , , United Kingdom.
    Posts
    44,308

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Why were you researching vCJD in the first place?

    You say "If vCJD was on the probes, we are absolutely at risk or even have it now. It doesn't seem delusional to see the risk involved here."

    what makes you think it was on the probes at all anyway?

    I think your are way off the mark with this one to be fair.
    __________________
    Nicola

    “Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

    Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate




  2. #12

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Okay, I'm out. I've been trying to help but if you're happier in your HA place then there's not a lot that I or anybody here can do.

    One last piece of advice (from somebody who, as I've stated, has been there) - stay away from Google so you don't find out anything else that'll trigger you.
    It's not that I'm happier. I'm saying there is a very real risk. It's not delusional to recognize that risk. If we hadn't had that procedure I would not be concerned. Obviously we are more at risk than someone who has never had that procedure. My goal in asking about this was how to be at peace with it because my son and I have a real possibility of being exposed to this disease.

  3. #13

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Why were you researching vCJD in the first place?

    You say "If vCJD was on the probes, we are absolutely at risk or even have it now. It doesn't seem delusional to see the risk involved here."

    what makes you think it was on the probes at all anyway?

    I think your are way off the mark with this one to be fair.
    I don't know if it was on the probes but if they haven't cleaned the probes properly, which they hadn't, then it very well could be.

    I researched to see if vCJD could be killed by alcohol because I knew there was a link to eyes from researching this disease a while ago.

    The facts remain... The instrument was not properly cleaned and had it touched somebody else's eyes who had vCJD, then I and my son are at higher risk. We could have absolutely contracted it. That is not delusional HA. Even someone without HA would recognize this risk.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    21,282

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by bosmerbeauty View Post
    Naturally, because I am highly aware of germs, I asked him if it was disinfected or disposable probes. He told me they were disinfected with alcohol and I saw them sitting in a jar in alcohol. I saw him switch to new probes before touching our eyes so I felt safe.
    What changed?

    Respectfully, this is not even close to the realm of reality Replace your post and fear with some of the other posts and fears and lack of reasoning behind them and its like any other irrational illness post here.

    That said, sadly, you're deep in the rabbit hole with this one. Hope you feel better soon.

    Positive thoughts
    __________________
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

    The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

  5. #15

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Respectfully, this is not even close to the realm of reality Replace your post and fear with some of the other posts and fears and lack of reasoning behind them and its like any other irrational illness post here.

    That said, sadly, you're deep in the rabbit hole with this one. Hope you feel better soon.

    Positive thoughts
    Why is it not close to the realm of reality? Because most people don't have vCJD? So that's why our risk is low even in this situation having been exposed to an unclean instrument? I'm trying to understand how the risk is not something to be concerned about. I'm really trying. I didn't worry before this procedure. Having this procedure done with an unclean instrument knowing it can be transmitted this way is why I'm concerned.

    It changed and I no longer felt safe when I learned his cleaning method was not cleaning anything at all.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    21,282

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Since first reported in 1996, there have been 229 cases WORLD WIDE! It can be passed by blood transfusion or eating infected beef. That's why its out of the realm of reality. Two pages of replies and factual reassurance and you're literally arguing to keep this fear alive. Continue if it makes you feel better

    FMP
    __________________
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

    The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

  7. #17

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Since first reported in 1996, there have been 229 cases WORLD WIDE! It can be passed by blood transfusion or eating infected beef. That's why its out of the realm of reality. Two pages of replies and factual reassurance and you're literally arguing to keep this fear alive. Continue if it makes you feel better

    FMP
    Ok thank you. That's where I will have to put my hope then. That although it's pretty much guaranteed we will contract this disease if the person had vCJD and used the same instrument but because it's so rare even though it was an unclean instrument I probably have not contracted it because of the rarity.

  8. #18

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Since first reported in 1996, there have been 229 cases WORLD WIDE! It can be passed by blood transfusion or eating infected beef. That's why its out of the realm of reality. Two pages of replies and factual reassurance and you're literally arguing to keep this fear alive. Continue if it makes you feel better

    FMP
    There's a lot more cases of CJD than vCJD so of course that increases the risk also as we could contract it from either type. It would be vCJD for me but from a CJD infected person, which is more common, but it still seems like it's pretty rare. I'm in Canada and there have been two in my province in the last couple of years. That's doesn't help my anxiety. Anyway hopefully we didn't contract it.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    848

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by bosmerbeauty View Post
    It's not that I'm happier. I'm saying there is a very real risk. It's not delusional to recognize that risk. If we hadn't had that procedure I would not be concerned. Obviously we are more at risk than someone who has never had that procedure. My goal in asking about this was how to be at peace with it because my son and I have a real possibility of being exposed to this disease.
    if you had not had the procedure, you would have found something else to dwell on. That’s how HA works

  10. #20

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    if you had not had the procedure, you would have found something else to dwell on. That’s how HA works
    I was hoping to hear from others about how they would deal with this if they found out their optometrist used an unclean instrument in their eye and it could have transmitted an infection and that infection is terrible and fatal. Afterall, that's why instruments are supposed to be cleaned properly. Because they DO transmit infections. It's not something I've made up in my mind. It would be a legitimate reasonable concern for anyone. Whether or not I have HA, I and my son have been exposed to to an unclean instrument and that's not something anyone would take lightly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. vCJD
    By f0rest in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-08-11, 13:11
  2. vCJD
    By Leovinus1 in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19-02-11, 07:56
  3. HELP. Terrified i have vCJD
    By Karlos007 in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 18-02-10, 19:39
  4. Hereditary Transmission
    By Buitenlander in forum Panic / Panic Attacks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-09-06, 14:43

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •