Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    21,276

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by bosmerbeauty View Post
    Whether or not I have HA, I and my son have been exposed to to an unclean instrument and that's not something anyone would take lightly.
    In your mind perhaps. What Optometrist, at the risk of losing their practice and being sued, would be that careless?

    FMP
    __________________
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

    The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

  2. #22

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    In your mind perhaps. What Optometrist, at the risk of losing their practice and being sued, would be that careless?

    FMP
    My optometrist. I talked with him about it. He said he didn't know that alcohol wasn't enough to kill CJD and he's looking into it. He said he also trusted alcohol to do the job just like I did. It's online clear as day that it does not kill CJD. He should have made sure before assuming alcohol was good enough.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    21,276

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by bosmerbeauty View Post
    I saw him switch to new probes before touching our eyes so I felt safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosmerbeauty View Post
    My optometrist. I talked with him about it. He said he didn't know that alcohol wasn't enough to kill CJD and he's looking into it. He said he also trusted alcohol to do the job just like I did. It's online clear as day that it does not kill CJD. He should have made sure before assuming alcohol was good enough.
    So you called back between your first post and now, and the doctor admitted he didn't know that alcohol wouldn't kill about probably the rarest disease in human existent? Aside from the fact that you just cannot get it that way, aside from the sheer numerical odds, its not even a grain of sand on the worry beach. I'm sorry, I'm having difficulty accepting that.

    That said. You're obviously convinced. No amount of facts or reassurance is helping Call your doctor and let us know what he/she says. "Told You So Gang" on standby

    FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 25-09-20 at 01:57.
    __________________
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

    The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

  4. #24

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    So you called back between your first post and now, and the doctor admitted he didn't know that alcohol would kill about probably the rarest disease in human existent? I'm sorry, I'm having difficulty accepting that.

    That said. You're obviously convinced. No amount of facts or reassurance is helping Call your doctor and let us know what he/she says. "Told You So Gang" on standby

    FMP
    That's ok. You don't have to accept it. No, I called him this morning before posting. I was hoping he'd tell me something encouraging but he didn't. I was also upset that he hadn't ensured it was the proper method of cleaning and sterilizing his instrument and I wanted him to know before he exposes anyone else to unclean instruments.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    21,276

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by bosmerbeauty View Post
    I think this is a legitimate concern and not just HA. I am looking for your opinions, support and reassurance, though I'm not sure if I can be reassured. It's done now and I can't go back.

    I and my 11 your old son were both given a glaucoma test which involved a tiny probe touching the white of the eye. Naturally, because I am highly aware of germs, I asked him if it was disinfected or disposable probes. He told me they were disinfected with alcohol and I saw them sitting in a jar in alcohol. I saw him switch to new probes before touching our eyes so I felt safe.

    Later I researched about vCJD being transmitted through those probes and if alcohol was strong enough to kill vCJD as I know prions are very difficult to kill.

    It turns out that alcohol is not recommended and in fact enables the prion to bind to the probe and now I am scared to death that I have been transmitted vCJD and worse my son has to. I really wish I would have told him to wait until I researched this more then I would have refused that test.

    I don't know how I'm going to live with this information in my head. vCJD can take years to appear. I or my son may not even have it but I don't know for sure and I'm worried sick. I feel like we are now at higher risk.

    How can I live peacefully knowing this? I don't know what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosmerbeauty View Post
    That's ok. You don't have to accept it. No, I called him this morning before posting.
    Can you point that out in your OP?

    FMP
    __________________
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

    The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

  6. #26

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Can you point that out in your OP?

    FMP
    Why? The facts of situation aren't different because I talked to him. I told him what I've said here. The same exact things about cleaning the probes and the ineffective use of alcohol for CJD but I'm told it's just my HA. Yes I might be worrying more because of HA, however, what happened is still concerning even for someone without HA. In the end my son and I have still been exposed to an unclean instrument. There is more of a risk now than we had yesterday which was pretty much zero. Just because I have HA, it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have a legitimate concern in situations that are realistic.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,411

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by bosmerbeauty View Post
    I'm in Canada and there have been two in my province in the last couple of years. That's doesn't help my anxiety..
    There have only been two cases of vCJV in Canada, one in 2002, the other in 2011. In both cases the disease was contracted outside Canada. There is no evidence for community transmission.

    PS: should also have added that all cases worldwide were caused by eating infected meat, or by blood transfusion. vCJD can't be transmitted through coughing, sneezing, touching, or sexual contact.
    Last edited by panic_down_under; 25-09-20 at 00:31.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    848

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by bosmerbeauty View Post
    Why? The facts of situation aren't different because I talked to him. I told him what I've said here. The same exact things about cleaning the probes and the ineffective use of alcohol for CJD but I'm told it's just my HA. Yes I might be worrying more because of HA, however, what happened is still concerning even for someone without HA. In the end my son and I have still been exposed to an unclean instrument. There is more of a risk now than we had yesterday which was pretty much zero. Just because I have HA, it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have a legitimate concern in situations that are realistic.
    Im not trying to be rude here because I’ve been where you are in terms of anxiety. But what you are afraid of here is absolutely not a legitimate concern.

    You're doing what all anxiety sufferers do....actively looking for something to worry about.

  9. #29

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    There have only been two cases of vCJV in Canada, one in 2002, the other in 2011. In both cases the disease was contracted outside Canada. There is no evidence for community transmission.

    PS: should also have added that all cases worldwide were caused by eating infected meat, or by blood transfusion. vCJD can't be transmitted through coughing, sneezing, touching, or sexual contact.
    Yes those were by eating beef with mad cow disease. vCJD might be the wrong type. It's the one you get from contaminated instruments. I think that's Acquired (Iatrogenic) CJD. My mistake. Anyway a CJD positive patient can contaminate the instruments. There are a lot of CJD cases compared to vCJD cases. So more chances of them contaminating instruments. I think instrument transmission is low but it's possible and more possible for me because I've been exposed to an unclean instrument.

    My point is I feel more at risk now and I obviously am since yesterday I wasn't exposed to dirty instruments touching my eyes. Now that I know this I don't know how to be okay with that and not worry. My only solace is knowing that most people don't have CJD so my son and I likely didn't contract it, but it's not something I can know for sure. That's the scary part. Especially since the cases in my province were right in my city. I thought it was 2 but it was 3. All related to eye cataract surgery.

  10. #30

    Re: Possible vCJD Transmission after seeing my optometrist

    Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    Im not trying to be rude here because I’ve been where you are in terms of anxiety. But what you are afraid of here is absolutely not a legitimate concern.

    You're doing what all anxiety sufferers do....actively looking for something to worry about.
    Except in my situation something happened that is a very real concern. Even if I didn't have HA. This is concerning. Would you knowingly allow a Dr. to use a dirty instrument on you? Obviously not. Because you'd be concerned about contracting something right? Same for me except for me it happened and I didn't know until it was too late.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. vCJD
    By f0rest in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-08-11, 13:11
  2. vCJD
    By Leovinus1 in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19-02-11, 07:56
  3. HELP. Terrified i have vCJD
    By Karlos007 in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 18-02-10, 19:39
  4. Hereditary Transmission
    By Buitenlander in forum Panic / Panic Attacks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-09-06, 14:43

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •