Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone totally recovered from Health anxiety?

Has anyone totally recovered from Health anxiety?

I have suffered anxiety most of my life . Terrible panic attacks. But the worst symptom of it all is health anxiety. I have had several bad bouts of it over the years lasting months . This current one lasting the longest yet. I want to beat thisand I have tried everything from counselling, hypnosis, bowen therapy, reading every book I can get my hands on but I just cant move past this latest fear.

I would love to hear from anyone who has successfully beat this horrible illness and how you managed to overcome your fears.

Xx

Re: Has anyone totally recovered from Health anxiety?

I am treating my health anxiety and believe that you can fully recover based on previous experience with ocd.

I used to wash my hands obsessively. My knuckles used to bleed and my life was dominated by hand cleaning. Cbt has cured me of this. I didn't realise how effective treatment was until this pandemic. I now have to make a conscious effort to wash them more.

Health anxiety is just a form of ocd so cbt will work if you put in the hard work.

Unfortunately cbt requires you to expose yourself to your fear gradually and safely. It will teach you to change your attitude to your fear. This isnt easy but well worth it.

I have, like you tried all sorts of treatments in the past but never really stuck with one.

What truly worked with my hand washing was cbt and medication while I worked through my issues.

Thanks pav.

Well done for working through the ocd .

I am waiting for cbt therapy but there is a long waiting list unfortunately.

I know this can be beaten its just im caught up in the whole symptoms thing just now the more symptoms the more anxiety the more anxiety the more symptoms.

Not fun but hopefully I can get ovet it again.

There is a good cbt document on the stickies.

If you think about it, it is a circle. You look for/notice a symptom, you google, ask reassurance, feel better. Then the circle happens again and again. You need to break the circle.so basically by not googling,you break the cycle. Obviously there are times where genuine health matters need to be investigated, however this is best done by a doctor. Once you receive advice from doctor you need to trust the doctor.

Like I say, there is an excellent cbt document in the stickies. Give it a go while you wait for therapy. Dont forget to speak to people that you trust so they can keep an eye on you. If you feel daft,just come on here and we will help

Thanks i will have a look at the sticky.

I stopped googling a long time ago it never ends well. Dr google is very scary.

Hello,
    I know (online) several people who fully recovered. I haven’t recovered fully, but I am muuuuch better than before.
    Medication works for me. Excellent advise above to break the cycle. All my meltdowns (which happen much more seldom these days) are when I give in to googling/not trusting doctor.
    Have you tried meds?

Hi im glad you are doing better these days.

I'm not on any meds just now as been through them all.I am trying to work through it and hopefully have some better days soon xx

I had a nervous breakdown due to HA (4 years ago)

I refuse to say that I'm cured because I'm predisposed to anxiety and there is always the potential to slip back down that rabbit hole..

So, I say that I am in control of my HA, and that it is work in progress. I choose not to see 'setbacks' or 'relapses'. I choose to see opportunities to put into practice everything that I've learned along my journey.

I am more logical these days, and if I get an anxious thought about my health, I don't fight it, or respond with fear, I simply ask myself what is different? I do the detective work, and then go to work on addressing the problem.

Thoughts are going to come into the mind because of the human negative bias, but I see them for what they are - just thoughts.

Things I did which got me back in control....

I learned to breathe properly.

I researched, in depth, the stress response on the human body.

I researched anxiety, in depth.

I made changes to my lifestyle (cutting out stimulants, social media, watching the news)

I stopped Googling (aside anxiety and topless pics of Tom Hardy)

I made my peace with the possibility of becoming ill (I have since been diagnosed with FMS, which isn't an illness as such but it is a pain in the arse!)

I'm already good with death, because I've had too many positive experiences with dead people, not to be. My fear was dying before my job getting my 11 year old son into independence is done. Regarding that, I know that it's something that is beyond my control. All I can do is try to keep as healthy as possible, and to give my son the tools he needs to make it in this world while I'm still here, and to accept that others will step up if needs be.

I learned to 'float' on my crap days. (see Claire Weekes for that one)

I understood that the power of the mind works both ways: it can all but destroy you, but it can heal you too. It depends which one you feed.

I've 'died' more times than Kenny from South Park, but I'm still here...

I'm a creative, arty-farty soul nerd, but I was born with a brain that's been set to HIGHLY SENSITIVE from day one. I don't know what it's like NOT to function in some level of anxiety, and I have other mental disorders, so I know that I'm never going to be Baloo the Bear - not unless I'm in a coma - and even then, I doubt it. But I kicked HA to the gutter with a LOT of effort and perseverance. It's not been easy for me to go against the natural order of my brain, so if I can do it cockers, anybody can.
    Last edited by NoraB; 02-10-20 at 08:06.

Hi Nora

Everything you say i can relate too.

I have a highly sensitive brain to and came out of the womb anxious.

I have many times got over my health anxiety bouts but this one is taken longer. Like you I never say I'm cured of anxiety as I know its lurking right there somewhere.

Claire weeks is fantastic ive read all her books over and over in the middle of one now for the hundredth time.

I like you have researched every aspect of anxiety but as im in that bad state just now its like my brain says nah forget that 😅. Health anxiety is a b@#^h .

I know I can get out of this again hopefully soon xx

Hi Molly, read all of Nora's posts, they're the best and my go-to when I start to spiral. I've had HA for 15 years, maybe more. I'm starting Schema Therapy next week. CBT helps me rationalise specific illness fears but I have an underlying feeling that something is wrong with me all the time and my therapist thinks Schema might help in addition to CBT. Don't give up, I truely believe there is a path out of this fearful way of existence and into living a full life. All the best x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information