Thread: Bowel issues...Health Anxiety

Bowel issues...Health Anxiety

Been a while and been doing so well with anxiety. Had a colonoscopy 4 years ago and nothing was found....had bleeding etc and was told I have diverticulitis and Haemarroids. . Had on and off bleeding since then but have not been worried however on Friday had quite a lot of bloody mucus. I filled in a form for a doctor to call back today. The bleeding usually is when I have a bad diet so wasn't worried..until today. Doctor called back and told me he wanted to book me in for a blood test for Coeliac etc but also said anemia. Why anemia? I have no symptoms however I've just googled and now feel physically sick! He is passing my info to a Gyno team as well to get their views but now I'm so worried. I thought if I had a colonoscopy 4 years ago cancer wouldn't creep up this quick! Why anemia? Why is he testing me...so scared.

Re: Bowel issues...Health Anxiety

Then I read a sun article about a 18 year old dying of it and a out anemia testing :( I'm 36 but so worried

If you lose blood then you can get anemia - that is why.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by willous1 View Post
    Been a while and been doing so well with anxiety. Had a colonoscopy 4 years ago and nothing was found....had bleeding etc and was told I have diverticulitis and Haemarroids. . Had on and off bleeding since then but have not been worried however on Friday had quite a lot of bloody mucus. I filled in a form for a doctor to call back today. The bleeding usually is when I have a bad diet so wasn't worried..until today. Doctor called back and told me he wanted to book me in for a blood test for Coeliac etc but also said anemia. Why anemia?
    It's standard. Hubs had blood in his poo and was sent for blood tests (inc anaemia) They came came back showing that he was anaemic, so, next thing is why. Bum Cam was clear (aside piles) and throat cam showed a teensie polyp in the stomach (which went by itself) and a hiatus hernia. He wasn't absorbing Vit B 12, so they bunged him on iron tabs and Vit B12 injections - Bob's your uncle and all that. No cancer!

See, scaaaaaary symptoms but no scary diagnosis!

Bloody mucus can seem very scary, but you can get mucus with IBS and you know you have piles which bleed, so add the two together?

I've just googled and now feel physically sick!
    Health Anxiety LOVES it when we Google. Really gets those stress hormones flowing! It'll help no end! You didn't have symptoms before you Googled but you sure do now, am I right?

I thought if I had a colonoscopy 4 years ago cancer wouldn't creep up this quick!
    It takes about 10-14 years for BC to develop from the first polyp - and your colonoscopy was clear, so I very much doubt it..

Why anemia? Why is he testing me...so scared.
    Standard practice when you have blood in your poo...

Why is he testing you? Because you filled in a form to say that you have bloody mucus!

You're making the classic HA mistake - presuming cancer when there are numerous other causes -including good ol' irritable bowel syndrome!
    Last edited by NoraB; 28-09-20 at 12:26.

Nora's answer was much better than mine

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you so much both of you, very kind of you to reply. I have had CBT and honestly have done so well over the last few years. Think I'm feeling particularly sensitive at the moment. I know not to Google and it was a bit of a schoolboy error. I have booked my bloods in for next Tuesday and I'm sure all will be okay.

There is no blood when I go now and I know if it's cancer it's usually persistent so that helps me feel better. Working from home today doesn't help as it helps keeping myself busy. Take care!

I received letter today about an urgent referral to the Gastro team and now feel sick with nerves? Blood results haven't come back yet but why urgent?

Quote Originally Posted by willous1 View Post
    I received letter today about an urgent referral to the Gastro team and now feel sick with nerves? Blood results haven't come back yet but why urgent?
    Before you lose the plot (if not already) look at this logically...

In your OP you say you have reported bleeding to your GP and he has arranged for blood tests and has referred you to gastro who are probably acting within the NICE guidelines.

I had an 'urgent' pelvic scan earlier this year. I had it within 2 weeks of going to the doctors with a symptom. Nothing sinister was found, unless you class some minor inflammation sinister?

You already have gastric issues and sending your thoughts stratospheric will only make matters worse.

How many times have you seen similar posts on here which have amounted to nothing life threatening - which is what you're scared of.

Thread Information