Thread: 31 year old male! Struggling with health anxiety!

31 year old male! Struggling with health anxiety!

Hello people, I just wanted to start a new post to see if there is similar people to my self out there.

I have had health anxiety for many years, it started when I binged one weekend on alcohol and yes I took some cocaine! It sent my heart wild and I ended Up in A&e. I was young and stupid at that time.

Fast forward to now I am 31, I still drink too much, smoke socially only when drinking but I also play lots of golf and football. I want to stop drinking alcohol all together in all honesty. But my it’s always been in my life since the age of 17, I’m a social butterfly and don’t like letting people down.

Anyway my main concern is my heart, maybe because of my stupid lifestyle I’m scared I’ll just have a heart attack any day, also I get dizziness, foggy brain, the list goes on.

I’ve reached out to private therapy which is helped a little but I want to speak to like minded people and try help others too! I believe talking is great and I’m all for supporting others!

Please reply to my thread or message me direct as I’d love to chat etc.

Thanks for reading guys and girls!

Re: 31 year old male! Struggling with health anxiety!

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi_h View Post
    Hello people, I just wanted to start a new post to see if there is similar people to my self out there.

I have had health anxiety for many years, it started when I binged one weekend on alcohol and yes I took some cocaine! It sent my heart wild and I ended Up in A&e. I was young and stupid at that time.

Fast forward to now I am 31, I still drink too much, smoke socially only when drinking but I also play lots of golf and football. I want to stop drinking alcohol all together in all honesty. But my it’s always been in my life since the age of 17, I’m a social butterfly and don’t like letting people down.

Anyway my main concern is my heart, maybe because of my stupid lifestyle I’m scared I’ll just have a heart attack any day, also I get dizziness, foggy brain, the list goes on.

I’ve reached out to private therapy which is helped a little but I want to speak to like minded people and try help others too! I believe talking is great and I’m all for supporting others!

Please reply to my thread or message me direct as I’d love to chat etc.

Thanks for reading guys and girls!
    hi hope you're well, as you probably know alcohol and anxiety don't mix well, now I'm not saying don't drink but in moderation you can still go out and socialize, l find l feel terrible the next day after a drink, so its very rare l drink
    but going for therapy can only help you with your anxiety

l had talking therapy l also have had cbt panic group which was so good as l found l wasn't alone, l could relate to these other people, l like you suffered dizziness brain fog palpitations etc. Now don't get me wrong l still get it but l have learnt to cope better, get plenty of exercise sounds like you do anyway its good for stress take care xx

My Health Anxiety started when I had a whopping massive panic attack while coming down off a 3 day bender of crystal meth. That was almost 24 years ago now. Still have HA and I like to think I have a better handle on it now than I did back then. But I can tell you any type of substance use - any at all - would trigger panics for me, for a very long time. I went alcohol free for about 10-12 years - not a single drop. Now I can have a glass of wine or a cocktail here and there, but never more than one in a sitting and usually only once every couple weeks. Cut the alcohol out altogether for awhile and see if you notice a difference. I bet you will.

Wow thanks so much for the replies! It really helps to know there is others out there! Each one of your comments is fantastic and I am going to have a month off the alcohol and take some time to do me. It’s even worse with all this coronavirus in the world which adds more worry but I wish everyone the beat help! Thanks guys!

Where can I find a CBT support group rather than individual sessions? Even if it’s on a zoom call that would be great! X

I have had health anxiety for many years, it started when I binged one weekend on alcohol and yes I took some cocaine! It sent my heart wild and I ended Up in A&e.
    Yup. That'll do it alright!

Alcohol and anxiety don't go. Having a few pints might relax you initially but it will come back to haunt you from about 3am when your body tries to deal with the toxins. Dehydration will also bite you hard on the bum giving you some major anxiety symptoms!

I've smoked and drank (until I've puked up) back in the day. Can't change any of it. I can only make sure that I live as healthily as I can now. If my stupidity comes back to haunt me then I'll deal with it, but the body can also be very forgiving if we put the effort in, and it's never too late to make improvements.

I knew somebody like you - a social butterfly. People bought him beer because he got funnier the more he drank. He entertained them. Then, he had a nervous breakdown and suddenly those people were nowhere to be seen - except for one man who really did live up to the word 'friend'...

You know that your lifestyle is making you feel like a crap, and will do more damage as you get older, so what do you value the most? Your health? Or being the life and soul of the party?

As I said, what's past can't be changed, but today is a new day and with that comes the chance to change your story.

All the best to you.

Wow thanks so much for the replies! It really helps to know there is others out there! Each one of your comments is fantastic and I am going to have a month off the alcohol and take some time to do me. It’s even worse with all this coronavirus in the world which adds more worry but I wish everyone the beat help! Thanks guys!

Where can I find a CBT support group rather than individual sessions? Even if it’s on a zoom call that would be great! X
    l got referred through my doctor's as l had tried individual cbt, phone get a telephone appointment with your doctor good luck xx l know it might be hard for group sessions at the moment though see what they can offer take care xx

Thread Information