Thread: Aura Migraine

Aura Migraine

Hi, I am a 63 year old female and never suffered from migraines in the past. However, about 2 years ago I suffered what I now know was an Aura Migraine. Only lasted about 20 minutes but was very scary. I then had another one about 6 weeks later, again only lasting about 20 minutes. The only symptom was a zigzag halo in my vision. I went to my gp and also had an eye test. Told me is was an Aura Migraine and nothing to worry about.
    Then out of the blue I got another one yesterday, again only lasting 20 minutes. I stupidly googled and apparently it is unusual to start getting these in your 60’s if you haven’t previously suffered from migraines. Also increased risk of stroke, which really scares me 😟
    Anyone else in the same situation? Thank you.

Re: Aura Migraine

Not in my 60s, but for a while I had these all the time - sometimes a couple a week, sometimes a few in a day.

Please don't worry about them, they're completely and utterly harmless.

I agree with blue, I had never experienced a migraine until July this year where I had more than I can count even multiple auras in one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Hi Mary, I'm sorry you're going through this. I've had migraines for almost 20 years now, but only rarely get auras. They can be really scary!

Your GP would know if something was truly wrong, but do keep track of when you get them, how long they last, if there is pain, etc. You may find you are getting them more frequently, and if pain is involved you may want to talk to your GP about migraine medications. If there is no pain, the medications may not be necessary.

Migraines are funny things with a myriad of causes and many people don't get them until later in life. Others, like may aunt, have them when they are younger and then they stop completely.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by mary8 View Post
    Then out of the blue I got another one yesterday, again only lasting 20 minutes. I stupidly googled and apparently it is unusual to start getting these in your 60’s if you haven’t previously suffered from migraines.
    Migraines with and without auras seem to have a link to anxiety disorders, particularly GAD, OCD and Panic Disorder, and depression. Migraine sufferers are more likely to develop anxiety and/or depression, and the reverse is also true. Why is a matter of debate, but the common denominator seems to be serotonin neurotransmission. The oft prescribed triptan migraine meds are serotonin agonists.

I started getting aura migraines only, or possibly scintillating scotoma, in my mid fifties just after I retired. I get 2, occasionally 3, a year usually with a 5-10 minute warning before the zigzag appear. In now in the 70s and, knock on wood, no indication of stroke so far.

Also increased risk of stroke, which really scares me 😟
    Dr Google is a quack who very rarely get the diagnosis right.

There is some evidence for magnesium and/or vitamin B2 supplements preventing them, but whether taking something 365 days a year just to forestall symptoms that only happen once in a blue moon is worth the expense is something only you can decide. For what it's worth I take magnesium for something else and it hasn't blocked mine.

Sorry to contradict, Ian, but there is a slight increased risk of stroke in women who suffer from aura migraines. It's why certain types of hormonal contraception are contraindicated for them.

However, if I remember the literature correctly (at work so can't spend ages researching) the risk becomes insignificant after age 50 or so compared to other stroke risk factors.

Thank you for your messages, they have helped.
    I have got an appointment for some bloods, then consultation with my doctor to discuss results and check my blood pressure. Still feeling very anxious.

Hi Mary I am 58 and had an aura migrane last December totally out of the blue, it only lasted about 15 mins. I used to take them when I was around 20 for a couple of years but nothing since. It freaked me out, got eyes tested and doctor wasn't concerned. Haven't had one since so far. I was advised harmless. :-)

Thread Information