Thread: Neck MRI tomorrow- Terrified

Neck MRI tomorrow- Terrified

I have a cervical spine MRI first thing in the morning and I'm sitting here in tears.

This one is a bit crazy. I know I'm being irrational.

Most people would say the scariest thing about an MRI is the tight space, the noises and the potential of finding something bad.

My fear a bit different, and super embarrassing. I'm legitimately terrified that somebody will accidentally leave a metal object in the MRI room and it will get sucked into the machine and kill me. It's happened in rare cases, when somebody is less than careful and leaves an oxygen tank/trolley in there and it has turned into a projectile. Not to doubt the professionalism of the NHS, but I'm fretting that somebody will be having an off day and accidentally leave something in there with me.

The even more embarrassing thing? I've had an MRI before and it was ok, yet this time round I'm extra scared. The first one was unnerving but ultimately plain sailing, but I can't reason with myself that this time will be exactly the same.

Does anybody know if MRI machines are already "on" when you walk into the room? Knowing this would reassure me that if anything were to be pulled towards the machine, it would have already happened before I was shoved into the tunnel like an uncooked pizza. I can't seem to find an answer.

Thanks for reading.

So stressed for tomorrow.

Re: Neck MRI tomorrow- Terrified

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by WorryRaptor View Post

My fear a bit different, and super embarrassing. I'm legitimately terrified that somebody will accidentally leave a metal object in the MRI room and it will get sucked into the machine and kill me. It's happened in rare cases, when somebody is less than careful and leaves an oxygen tank/trolley in there and it has turned into a projectile. Not to doubt the professionalism of the NHS, but I'm fretting that somebody will be having an off day and accidentally leave something in there with me.

The even more embarrassing thing? I've had an MRI before and it was ok, yet this time round I'm extra scared. The first one was unnerving but ultimately plain sailing, but I can't reason with myself that this time will be exactly the same.
    You've been Googling, right?

The oxygen tank negligence thing happened in India, not the UK. MRI accidents are incredibly rare, so when things do go wrong, they are going to make the news, and it's these that you have homed in on instead of the thousands of MRI testing done per year that are absolutely fine.

Bottom line: nothing in life is without risk - NOTHING!

You had an MRI without problems last year so why should this time be different? Maybe it's because you've been Googling?

Does anybody know if MRI machines are already "on" when you walk into the room? Knowing this would reassure me that if anything were to be pulled towards the machine, it would have already happened before I was shoved into the tunnel like an uncooked pizza. I can't seem to find an answer.
    I've had about five MRIs since 2016 and the most unnerving thing was in the mobile ones where you get to see somebody's insides while you are waiting for your turn.

I figure these guys know their jobs and if they don't, well my family won't have to worry about money for a few years because the compo will see them right. Me? I won't know much about it, cocker!

So stressed for tomorrow.
    And yet it will come and go and you will report that everything was fine, but your body will still be dealing with those stress hormones long after the MRI...
    There is a light. There is. Look for it. Look for it shining over your shoulder, on the past. It was light where you went once. It is light where you are now. It will be light, where you will go again. ~ Jennifer Worth

Thanks for your reply

Not really Googling as such, more like a friend deciding it would be fun to tell me a few horror stories, which I then admittedly looked up to confirm. The article I read was an incident in the USA where a tank was left in the room, along with accidents in India.

Having experienced medical negligence myself before which nearly cost me my life, I'm extra tense about tiny mistakes being made. I do realise it's irrational, but anxiety was winning this time.

I did manage to get through alive though! The MRI tech very kindly explained that yes the machine was already on, so if anything was to fly across the room, it would have already done so. I tried my best not panic as I have extreme claustrophobia too, but once I could rule out freak accidents I was able to deal with that.

The MRI was one of the narrow, closed ones so I gave myself an extra bravery point for not clawing my way out like a cat that doesn't want a bath.

Now Im fixated on the fact the MRI tech was all smiles and friendliness before the scan, but once it was finished, he was very quiet, and I caught him staring at the screen like he was seeing something awful. He told me I did very well to stay calm in here, and that it's better to get these things checked. I have been reading into that as meaning "Yep, we found something, good thing you came in"

Now is the waiting game.

I hope this doesn't get moderated but, having been brought up in a Christian family, I actually prayed about halfway through to get through mine (on my throat) last year - and it seems that God or whoever answered my prayers because the last five minutes were easy and I had no problem getting to the end.

Well, what was the result?

Quote Originally Posted by WorryRaptor View Post

Not really Googling as such, more like a friend deciding it would be fun to tell me a few horror stories, which I then admittedly looked up to confirm.
    That's a yes then.

Having experienced medical negligence myself before which nearly cost me my life, I'm extra tense about tiny mistakes being made. I do realise it's irrational, but anxiety was winning this time.
    The NHS make mistakes, and my family will testify to that, but that's because they're humans and humans sometimes make mistakes - even the very best of them. Nothing in this life comes without risk, so you either accept that or you don't, except that not accepting it means that you avoid necessary testing, and that's a one way ticket to trouble. You had your MRI and it was fine. You didn't make the papers..

The MRI was one of the narrow, closed ones so I gave myself an extra bravery point for not clawing my way out like a cat that doesn't want a bath.
    Mine was in a mobile unit so it was narrow. It's a bit unnerving at first, but you seemed to have coped really well. Well done!

Now Im fixated on the fact the MRI tech was all smiles and friendliness before the scan, but once it was finished, he was very quiet, and I caught him staring at the screen like he was seeing something awful. He told me I did very well to stay calm in here, and that it's better to get these things checked. I have been reading into that as meaning "Yep, we found something, good thing you came in"
    I don't even bother with that one now because it's happened virtually every time I've been scanned! (and I've been scanned a lot)

You are interpreting this with your HA mind and I'm taking it that all was ok given that you've not said anything else? That seems to be the way with a lot of people. I prefer it when people start and finish a thread, and if everything was ok - to say it was ok. If nothing else, it serves to remind people in similar situations that the outcome is rarely what they've imagined it will be.
    There is a light. There is. Look for it. Look for it shining over your shoulder, on the past. It was light where you went once. It is light where you are now. It will be light, where you will go again. ~ Jennifer Worth

Thread Information