Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you stop yourself spiralling?

How do you stop yourself spiralling?

I know a lot of people recommend mindfulness but it just doesn’t work for me. I try not to google but from all the years of googiling I basically have webmd in my brain anyway. So what do you do that works for you to stop yourself having a meltdown?

Re: How do you stop yourself spiralling?

emmc

I challenge my thoughts with reality. For example, when I was deep in my lymph node spiral, I went to the doctor and got the all clear. Then whenever a thought would enter my mind regarding my lymph node, I would challenge it by thinking or saying out loud, "the doctor gave me the all clear, nothing is wrong." I would then take some deep breaths to ground myself in the moment and then go do something that aligned with my values. Generally that meant calling or texting someone. There is a great book called, "The Happiness Trap" by Russ Harris that fundamentally changed the way I think. I would highly recommend it.

Also a quick note on mindfulness. In order for mindfulness to be truly effective, it must be practiced every single day, even when you aren't in a spiral. I'm not sure what your practice has been like but if it hasn't been a regular, daily routine for you then I would not expect it to work.

Best Wishes

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

Thank you
    I find mindfulness doesn’t work for me really because I find it difficult to focus on my body sensations without it just giving me more anxiety. I could probably try practice more but it just seems to make me feel worse

And that's perfectly OK. Seek out a different modality that works for you.

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

Understand your issues with mindfulness. I struggle with that as well but for me, I can’t seem to shut my brain off long enough to focus on being mindful. For me, if I recognize the pattern that I’m about to delve into a spiral, I do as mentioned above - logically reason with myself why xyz isn’t a possibility, then I redirect my thoughts elsewhere. Move onto something else that will hold my attention or force me to think about something else. Sometimes it’s working on a quilt, sometimes it’s reading a book, sometimes it’s watching mindless TV. Whatever works for you! Just don’t allow yourself to give in to the spiral. Hard at first but will get easier with practice!

I use a fantastic set worksheets to calm myself down when I spiral. I know Google is a dirty word, but if you search "WA health anxiety self help resources" you'll find them. Also reading NoraB's posts are very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by emmc View Post
    I know a lot of people recommend mindfulness but it just doesn’t work for me.
    Mindfulness is basically focusing on what's happening inside and outside of your body moment by moment. You've totally cracked the inside the body part. You are exceptionally focused on what is happening inside your body, so how could this not work for you?

It's about taking your attention away from your body and into your surroundings -the outside bit- whether that's a walk in the woods, staring at the sea, or a teabag!

The problem is that it takes a great deal of effort, and at first we only get a few seconds before we are back inside the body with all those horrid sensations. But those seconds gradually become minutes and every minute that your mind can focus on something other than your health, is a step in the right direction. If you are the kind of person who wants instant results, then it won't have worked for you because it doesn't work that way.

I see (from another comment) that you feel mindfulness ramps up the anxiety? But I see that as a good thing because many things have to worsen before they can improve. If you were to keep practising a little every day, you would eventually become desensitised to those sensations as you would any other phobic type behaviour.

I get all those sensations, and more, but I just tap my chin like a Gallagher and say, 'Bring it on! Do you know what I mean? Racing heart? So? Feeling sick? *yawn* a cup of ginger tea will sort that out. You get me?

Feel all that crap and get on with your life anyway.

That aside, I've taken my thoughts to 'court' and ask for the evidence for whatever irrational thought it is I'm having, and, believe me, I have some bonkers thoughts!

Take the other day...

There I was having a soak in the bath and this thought came into my mind...

What if the boiler blew up (directly under the bathroom) and the side of the house (where the bath is) fell into the street and people saw me naked?

I have those type of thoughts a lot because I have OCD - which is closely connected to HA..

My body started to respond to that thought. My heart started to race. My breathing grew shallow. My body tensed up. As far as my brain was concerned, it might as well have been happening!

So, I recognised it for what it was - a thought - and the fact that I have more chance of Tom Hardy booting down the bathroom door down shouting, 'Ditch that husband of yours baby, I'm all yours!' than my naked carcass ending up in the side-street along with my hairy bath water!

The reaction was instant. I laughed out loud and the stress response shut down. It was a very useful reminder of where the mind can take us and how we can easily take control if we choose to do so.

More so these days, and not just about health, I ask myself where has this thought come from? What's the real issue here? Why am I reacting to this?

Sometimes the answer is that I'm just a bit nuts - other times it's 'referred' from something else - maybe something from my past? Sometimes the brain just remembers, and similar situations trigger memories which the body reacts to.

Bottom line: you stop yourself from spiralling by physically deactivating the fight or flight response. (deep breathing)

You stop yourself from spiralling by allowing yourself to experience all those unpleasant sensations, and without fear.

You stop yourself from spiralling by taking control.

Quote Originally Posted by NotDeadYet View Post
    I challenge my thoughts with reality.
    That's my thought as well and it applies to other types of mental illness as well. Whether its a physical symptom, negative thought pattern, obsessive thoughts etc., the reality is nearly always the constant. Its certainly easier said than done as evidenced on the boards, but trying to convince yourself the sky is green when you're literally looking at a blue sky is futile at best and just takes you deeper into the rabbit hole. Reality and facts cannot be disputed. "What Ifs" can

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post

Feel all that crap and get on with your life anyway.

[/I]You stop yourself from spiralling by taking control.
    Thanks this was really helpful. I’ll probably try mindfulness again. I’ve been in counselling for around four months now and just haven’t noticed any changes but maybe I need to be doing more. Has your anxiety ever eased or did you just learn to manage it better? I think that’s what hinders me because I’m just waiting for it to never be there instead of dealing with the fact it probably always will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by emmc View Post
    Has your anxiety ever eased or did you just learn to manage it better? I think that’s what hinders me because I’m just waiting for it to never be there instead of dealing with the fact it probably always will be there.
    I don't know what it's like not to have anxiety. It's how I'm wired. I have to work a lot harder than most just to exist. I have other mental health disorders, but HA is currently not an issue - despite a flare up with my fibromyalgia..

While my CV sounds a bit crap, I am also a very spiritual person and I try to lighten up my world as much as I can. I'm a visual person, so relaxation imagery works for me. It is harder when my anxiety is high because that affects my ability to function in general, but what I lack in certain skills, I make up for in determination.

Even when you don't think anything is different when you practice mindfulness - on another level - it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information