Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood pressure

Blood pressure

Hello, I received a text today from my dr asking me to either record a diary of my blood pressure or go in and use the machine and give the results to the receptionist. I queried this as my blood pressure has never been mentioned as being high before and the reply was it could be because of any medication I’m on. The only thing I take is the contraceptive mini pill and when I was last prescribed it it was the beginning of lockdown so it was prescribed without my weight or blood pressure being take as usual so I’m guessing it’s that.
    I went in tonight and used their machine I got 3 different readings
    1) 171/78
    2) 149/77
    3) 111/61
    I gave the receptionist the lowest and she seemed happy with that but I’m now wondering if I should have given her all 3? From what I’ve read the first is very high but I had just driven over there at a busy time in a new car I’m not comfortable with and I was very anxious about the whole thing. I should probably have sat and relaxed for a little while instead of going straight in. My dad has a home blood pressure monitor and whenever I’ve used that before it’s always been fine.
    Those reading where done within 3 minutes of each other so does that mean because it came down it was probably high because I was anxious?

Re: Blood pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Bakebeansrule View Post
    Those reading where done within 3 minutes of each other so does that mean because it came down it was probably high because I was anxious?
    Absolutely!

Best Wishes

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

Thank you for replying. Do you think I should just forget about it? It came down so probably nothing to worry about.

I dream of having a BP of 111/61...

Quote Originally Posted by Bakebeansrule View Post
    Do you think I should just forget about it?
    Yep. Check it at least once a year or whenever your doctor recommends and then move forward.

Best Wishes

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

Thank you

I had no problems with BP taking until last year, and by then I was having panic attacks every time I went to see my GP.

Originally, a nurse took my BP (arm hanging down ) and went with one reading - which was high, and she totally dramatised the whole thing - so I had a panic attack there and then.

Then I had to be monitored for a month at the doctors and by now I had a raging case of white coat (blue uniform) syndrome!

I wasn't having this BP crap, so I bought a (decent) monitor to use at home, and low and behold my BP was in the normal range - maybe a little higher than it was before the fibro, but chronic pain does up the BP a bit which is why it's important to manage pain, innit?

That, or the machine was on the blink.

I took it for about a week, then put the machine away and haven't taken my BP since.

I felt quite anxious because I’ve never used the machine before, couldn’t speak to anyone other than the receptionist over the phone infront of a room full of people and it all felt very wrong . I did feel very anxious but didn’t expect to see such high numbers which has caused a bit of worry. I’d managed to get a grip of my anxiety then this is threatening to set it off again.

It wouldn’t have come down that fast if it was constantly high would it?

I went to the drs and checked mine again today
    151/80
    120/70

then checked it at my parents and it was
    117/80

do these sound ok? I’m still quite worried about seeing such high numbers on Friday.

I had a similar problem, Nora B. Practice nurse took BP, said it was high and gave me a very serious talk about medication including how much I would have to take if I left it and had a heart attack/stroke. I've never enjoyed having it taken; I know I have white/blue coat syndrome but, because she was so insistent, I agreed to medication and she prescribed calcium channel blockers. I took these for two weeks - from day 3 I felt as though 'nothing' was happening in my body - it was almost like waiting for the next heart beat. My digestive system siezed up altogether which peeved me because as an IBS-C sufferer I had just weaned myself off Laxido and things had been working normally for a few months. After two weeks I took the tablets back and said I was not going to take them any more, nor anything else. They gave me a BP monitor for a week and the readings came down after about 3 days to a reasonable level but higher than ideal. At that point the practice nurse agreed we could accept it was OK for the time being but we will check again in March - so shortly. During February I have become more and more anxious about having to go through all this again. In the meantime I bought my own BP monitor and got my readings down to a decent level. However, once they reached a good level I stopped monitoring as I don't want this to become obsessive. Now I have developed a fear of the monitor - even just looking at the damn thing. I know I need to start taking it myself shortly to 'desensitise' myself from the effect but I really don't want to. You can't win can you? I dread to think what she might prescribe next and what effect it would have. Better just grit my teeth and have a go I suppose - it's bound to take the month for me to come off the blasted ceiling. Any tips for desensitising more than welcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information