Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blood pressure

Re: Blood pressure

no one can make you take pills or do your blood pressure, just refuse,i do as i no its going to be high, i use to take it at home but found i got anxiety looking at the machine so i dont do it, if you feel fine you will be, ive had readings from 220/120 to 120/80 and everything inbetween,depends what time of day, what you ate,anxiety,no sleep anything really, the side effects of 5 pills i was on were intorable so stopped them and feel much better and no stress . not a clue what mine is, eat well,lose weight if necessary ,

Quote Originally Posted by peter9 View Post
    no one can make you take pills or do your blood pressure, just refuse,i do
    I realize this is an old thread but that's just not good advice. There are many here who worry about their blood pressure and many who self test and monitor for no reason. I discourage that unless your doctor asks you to do so. Otherwise, it can and does become an obsession and food for the dragon. The OP is on a medication that warrants monitoring according to a medical professional. I have pre-existing conditions, take meds and have been told to monitor, especially since a dosage change recently.

You're correct in no one can make the OP take a pill or monitor BP, but in this case it's prudent to do so, especially since the doctor recommended it. The key is to relax. If you're monitoring at home as I do, put the cuff on and relax for 5 minutes or so, then take it. Do it three times and typically, especially if you're anxious, the lowest will be the most accurate.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 25-02-21 at 20:09.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by peter9 View Post
    no one can make you take pills or do your blood pressure, just refuse,i do as i no its going to be high, i use to take it at home but found i got anxiety looking at the machine so i dont do it, if you feel fine you will be, ive had readings from 220/120 to 120/80 and everything inbetween,depends what time of day, what you ate,anxiety,no sleep anything really, the side effects of 5 pills i was on were intorable so stopped them and feel much better and no stress . not a clue what mine is, eat well,lose weight if necessary ,
    What you are describing is uncontrolled blood pressure. Uncontrolled blood pressure can lead to a stroke. I’d rather take the meds than take the risk.

UMy Aunt ate healthy never smoked or drank exercised on a daily basis,her blood pressure was all over the place she tried the “no pill bullshit” and died from a massive stroke,so if I were you I would take the meds.

Thanks, Peter - you are right but it is known as 'the silent killer' and I feel it would be irresponsible of me not to take any notice of it. I actually took mine yesterda - first time since last year - and I concentrated on something else while I took it. First reading was high, second better and third 144/80 which is good enough for me. When the surgery come back to me I shall tell them I know what my BP is and that, provided it stays down there, I don't need any assistance. I would hate to think of having, say, a stroke and my better half having to look after me - possibly for a long time.

Thanks, Lolalee - I am keeping an eye on it myself and will take it every so often just to check - that way if anything is amiss I can do something about it.

I know what you mean, swajj - as I've said to Lolalee1, I will now keep an eye on it - every three months or so - and if anything seems wrong I shall consult my GP. Better safe than sorry. Thanks to you all for responding.

Thanks for your response, Fishmanpa - I agree but will now continue to monitor my own and let the dr know if anything seems amiss. BP is something you cannot ignore - best to know. I find distraction works for me - it soon comes down then.

I asked a Dr this exact question last week. The answer was anxiety can definitely impact BP results and he says that all the time at his office. The lowest number is more realistic of your actual BP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information