Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checklist to Gauge If I am OCD

Checklist to Gauge If I am OCD

Hi folks, I am pretty interested to know if there is a checklist that is good to use to check if one has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or just being so orderly and so clean, or just irritated for topsy-turvy things. Appreciate your thoughts and sharing. Thanks

Re: Checklist to Gauge If I am OCD

I have a fire thing going on so I have to take plugs out etc before I can go out. When the OCD is bad, my checking takes a lot longer because I can't convince my brain I've checked these things so I often find myself holding a plug in my hand for several minutes and looking from that to the socket I've pulled it out from. On a good day, I do three cycles of checks. On a bad day, it's more.

Also, my thoughts can get really funky. It's no wonder that I had a nervous breakdown because of health anxiety - closely related to OCD.

I once convinced myself I'd run somebody over despite there being no audible noise, or body.

Also that my brother was the Yorkshire Ripper because he had a similar beard...

That's the tame stuff...

OCD isn't about liking a clean and tidy house - it's scrubbing those germs away until your fingers bleed, and then scrubbing some more.

On the plus side, climbing the stairs umpteen times to do my checks isn't 'arf good for the thighs.

Do you think you have OCD?

I can't stand the comment "I think I'm a bit OCD"...It trivialises a very distressing and incredibly deep rooted condition which can have devastating effects on a sufferer's quality of life.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I can't stand the comment "I think I'm a bit OCD"...It trivialises a very distressing and incredibly deep rooted condition which can have devastating effects on a sufferer's quality of life.
    I have a colleague who does this, and it drives me loopy. It's meant to signify what a perfectionist and high achiever she is, I think.

As has been pointed out, HA is closely related to OCD and it's an absolute torment. I have so much sympathy with sufferers, there's been many times back when I was bad when I've thought that dying would be easier than the constant self-doubt.

Same with autism when people say they are ' a bit autistic' because they can't be arsed to be sociable one night a month. It really does belittle the crap we go through...

Some of the thoughts I have scare the crap out of me, and they come from nowhere!

When I was younger, I had a couple of dogs, and before I could leave them - I had to turn off all the appliances except the fridge (had no choice but to keep that on, and worry about it) I turned the cooker off at the wall and taped up the knobs - even though there was no power!

Guess what job I did for 10 years?

I was a school caretaker - in charge of alarms and locking up!!

It took me FOREVER to lock up and get out, and I was always driving back to the school to triple check I'd locked up and closed windows etc - sometimes at 9pm at night! I did three checks inside and outside the entire building! More if I was stressed. I haven't worked there since 2004, but I still have dreams where I'm doing my checks!

On a positive note: no door or window or appliance was ever left open (or on) on my watch.

But I did a lot of unpaid overtime.

I worked in Government Intelligence at a very secret place (well it was then!) and every so often had to do security checks when leaving for the evening for the entire office...Any secret documents left out by mistake had to be hastily locked away etc etc. Missing anything would give you a security breach and 3 breaches and you were dismissed...I just couldn't bear all the checking and eventually made a bargain that I would make all the teas and coffees for everyone all the time if I could be let off doing the checks..I know..I wimped out but I still have awful flashbacks to making sure all the safes were securely locked and then not being certain so going back.....urgh..

I'm terrible with appliances too..Also making sure the fridge door is securely shut and no food is touching the back..Leaving the iron on etc,

I worked in Government Intelligence at a very secret place (well it was then!) and every so often had to do security checks when leaving for the evening for the entire office...Any secret documents left out by mistake had to be hastily locked away etc etc. Missing anything would give you a security breach and 3 breaches and you were dismissed...I just couldn't bear all the checking and eventually made a bargain that I would make all the teas and coffees for everyone all the time if I could be let off doing the checks..I know..I wimped out but I still have awful flashbacks to making sure all the safes were securely locked and then not being certain so going back.....urgh..

I'm terrible with appliances too..Also making sure the fridge door is securely shut and no food is touching the back..Leaving the iron on etc,
    When I light candles (cus me likey how they flicker) I blow them out, then dunk them in a bowl of water to make sure..

Being a 'neat freak' is not OCD perse. When the thought of being contaminated by germs causes disruption and mental anguish then that is OCD.

One type of OCD is when you keep on checking and checking things and keep worrying about it. Then another type is mental contamination. Then there is this too much symmetry and ordering.

So there are a lot to consider being an OCD, not just being irritated with being messy or dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    When I light candles (cus me likey how they flicker) I blow them out, then dunk them in a bowl of water to make sure..
    Me too....just to make sure of course... My daughter is terrified of matches and fire so we are now no longer getting candles..

Me too....just to make sure of course... My daughter is terrified of matches and fire so we are now no longer getting candles..
    You can get those battery operated ones which flicker? They do go through a lot of batteries though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information