Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotland goes back into lockdown 7pm Friday

Re: Scotland goes back into lockdown 7pm Friday

I don't think you're necessarily being fair on the young people of today, Lenco, and I'd argue that you're making a lot of sweeping generalisations.

My parents were 18 when World War 2 broke out and both joined up. They didn't complain or moan..they did what they had to do. My mother got used to anticipating air raids and not knowing whether they would survive the day/night. It must have been horrendous.

Such a lot is taken for granted now and people have no idea what hardship actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I don't think you're necessarily being fair on the young people of today, Lenco, and I'd argue that you're making a lot of sweeping generalisations.
    I understand I was being a bit harsh and even a bit hypocritical as I myself often get a bit cheesed off with a lot of the 'young people today'-bashing.

Although I wasn't specifically referring to just 'young people' per se, I should have worded it a bit different with something like 'society today' instead perhaps.

Thanks. We live in different times with different expectations, and I'm honestly torn - I wish people in general weren't so petulant, but I'm glad we have all the wonderful things we didn't a few decades back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    No, I don't think so; I've been around on the Internet long before there were web forums and I'm good at troll-spotting - and he's really, really struggling.

Like all of us, he just wants answers. It's just he sees this as the end of the world. Pre-Covid his posts were interesting, intelligent and rational.
    You can try and help people PM, but if it’s having an effect on your mental health then you need to step back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    You can try and help people PM, but if it’s having an effect on your mental health then you need to step back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For the most part I've been (within reason) avoiding the news and all things Covid since last Friday, which has resulted in me feeling far less intense.

I shall still be heeding whatever new restrictions are announced this week and continuing to stick to the existing ones in place.

At the moment I'm at work, again my throat feels a bit rough, I'm not sure if I'm hot because I've been running around like a blue-arsed fly for much of the afternoon, I foolishly volunteered to come in tomorrow and I just feel like bursting into tears because I can't cope.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    At the moment I'm at work, again my throat feels a bit rough, I'm not sure if I'm hot because I've been running around like a blue-arsed fly for much of the afternoon, I foolishly volunteered to come in tomorrow and I just feel like bursting into tears because I can't cope.
    I've had a bit of a thickly throat today myself, but no persistent dry coughs, no loss of taste/smell, nor a high temperature.

BlueIris, Like you, I also appreciate a lot of the wonderful things we have today that were still largely undreamed of a few decades ago.

But sadly, there are still, and probably always will be ungrateful people of all ages who are petulant, self-centred and get their knickers in a twist over not being able to do things that most people, especially before the 90s, were unable to do without having to fork out loads of dosh, such as foreign travel multiple times per year.

And many of the other things we now take for granted, like colour TV sets, disc players, computers, cars, etc, were mega expensive compared to today, and most people had to save up for them for months or even years, but on the plus side, they were probably valued far more, and were ironically designed and built to last, unlike most of today's consumer goods.

Well, the extra day of work I was supposed to do tomorrow disappeared after about four hours of being asked to do it and I am delighted. Day's pay or a chance to get my head straight? I'll take the latter, ta. Day in bed for me.

I am wondering if the rough throat is from (a) overdoing things whilst masked and (b) the copious amounts of hand sanitiser in use - nearly everything I touch at work is sanitised.

Picking up on something Lencoboy has said in the post above; pretty much since the introduction of colour in 1967 a good colour television has always been around £350. Now, run that figure past the Bank Of England inflation calculator and be seated when you do so!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    My parents were 18 when World War 2 broke out and both joined up. They didn't complain or moan..they did what they had to do. My mother got used to anticipating air raids and not knowing whether they would survive the day/night. It must have been horrendous.

Such a lot is taken for granted now and people have no idea what hardship actually is.
    I agree. As Vee said, first world problems. And the more people have grown up having the more they will resent not having them. As Blue points out it is a sweeping generalisation, every generation has complainers, but a big % of today's world are growing up used to luxury. If you grow up in a poor nation naturally a greater number of people are more used to hardship and will wonder what we are complaining about. Our parents and grandparents understand that as despite the ramblings of certain newspapers who think it's worse today our parents remember the days of no central heating and hand-me-down make do & mend culture. Those living in our countries in poverty just want food as opposed to an iPhone. They understand hardship. Many of all ages do a life has reminded them of it's fragility whether you are 50 getting cancer or a 12 year carer for your parent.

Facebook crashes for a day. Mass hysteria. Service restored and they all have something new to discuss. Somewhere in a poor nation your village well pump stops working. Walk miles to another? Die?

First world problems. How lucky we are.

The lockdown hits some harder than others but doesn't life? Suicide rises because of a new reason but someone vulnerable would face the same due to death in the family, relationship breakups, redundancy, etc. The pandemic is not special in this respect and quite frankly I'll put up with of this of years of grief from losing a loved one.

It has been pointed out that substance misusers are struggling. That's nothing to do with a pandemic. It's stress. See above. The problem is the lack of support and perhaps removal of a crutch? But again, see above. Good luck getting support for losing your wife like Pamplemousse has, you go into the mental health queue like us all. If you are an addict, it's another problem.

I've seen it said on here how the sudden isolation affects substance misusers. Just like us. If your work is a crutch, that's not a good thing. I made that mistake and learned from it when the work obsession, or rather me avoiding confronting what was lurking beneath, got to the point I went of work. Then came more spiralling.

Manage the fallout, don't try to avoid it by sacrificing another vulnerable group.

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information