Thread: Breast lump is cyst in skin tissue - no referral is that normal?

Breast lump is cyst in skin tissue - no referral is that normal?

I went to the doctors due to lumpy breasts with one lump in particular worrying me. The DR diagnosed the lumpiness as glandular tissue (is that normal!?) and the lump I was worried about as a tiny cyst in the skin tissue, not breast tissue! I have read that breast tissue spreads up to the colour bone, and this lump was around where the crease of your arm joining is, but along onto the part of the chest which has very little fat (over rib cage). She did a thorough examination and could feel where the breast tissue stopped.

I haven’t been referred but have bad HA. I asked could it be breast cancer and she said absolutely not, but it’s still niggling away at me. Should I have been referred?

For reference I am 26 and fairly slim with small breasts, so there isn’t much tissue in the way of feeling lots of lumps and bumps which is a nightmare!

Re: Breast lump is cyst in skin tissue - no referral is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by WorriedOlive View Post
    I went to the doctors due to lumpy breasts with one lump in particular worrying me. The DR diagnosed the lumpiness as glandular tissue (is that normal!?) and the lump I was worried about as a tiny cyst in the skin tissue, not breast tissue! I have read that breast tissue spreads up to the colour bone, and this lump was around where the crease of your arm joining is, but along onto the part of the chest which has very little fat (over rib cage). She did a thorough examination and could feel where the breast tissue stopped.

I haven’t been referred but have bad HA. I asked could it be breast cancer and she said absolutely not, but it’s still niggling away at me. Should I have been referred?

For reference I am 26 and fairly slim with small breasts, so there isn’t much tissue in the way of feeling lots of lumps and bumps which is a nightmare!
    Some women have lumpy breasts. I've known numerous ladies have lumps and cysts but none have turned out to be breast cancer. If your GP isn't concerned, then neither should you be. I have small boobs too and there's nowhere for lumps and bumps to hide. Doctors know what they are looking for with cancer and if yours was concerned, she would have referred you, so be reassured that your doc is satisfied that there is no cause to refer you.

Re: Breast lump is cyst in skin tissue - no referral is that normal?

That is normal. Doctors and nurses are so used to feeling breasts for any abnormalities and can tell whether a lump is to be concerned about. They would've referred you immediately if they felt it needs further investigation. I have lumpy breasts which I had checked out, I still do and last time I had my breasts checked out by the doctors was 5 years ago.

Thread Information