Thread: Where do you get your IBS Pain? Does this sound typical for IBS?

Question Where do you get your IBS Pain? Does this sound typical for IBS?

Hi guys,

I've had IBS for years. Haven't had a flare up in a while. When it was bad, I would get a twisting cramp pain right at my belly button or just under. I knew this was IBS so could relax. I've had the works done as a teenager they suspected me to have IBD but all clear!

This morning I woke up with a dull cramp very low down on my right abdomen almost verging into right pelvic pain. I can also feel a dull ache in my back passage (tmi SORRY ) and sometimes in my thighs. It's not spams, but a deep dull ache which comes in waves. I also get a sharp pain on the lower left near my hip which lasts a second and comes repeatedly. Speaking with a friend, she said she often gets the very low abdominal pain, but not the other stuff so I panicked!

I've been taking codeine 30mg everyday for my joint pain as I can't take anti inflammatories and at first was very constipated for the first time in my life. Things have came back to normal a bit more, but I used to use the bathroom about 3-4 times a day, now I'm down to 1 or 2 maximum. The fact I woke up with the pains makes me think it's IBS, but when googling IBS symptoms, I don't seem to fit the bill.

Does anyone else get similar pains with their IBS? Low / almost pelvic cramping on either side. Dull aches in the butt or thighs. Then I'll feel less alone in my weird IBS symptoms club.

Re: Where do you get your IBS Pain? Does this sound typical for IBS?

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by lilysmith123 View Post
    I've been taking codeine 30mg everyday for my joint pain as I can't take anti inflammatories and at first was very constipated for the first time in my life. Things have came back to normal a bit more, but I used to use the bathroom about 3-4 times a day, now I'm down to 1 or 2 maximum. The fact I woke up with the pains makes me think it's IBS, but when googling IBS symptoms, I don't seem to fit the bill.
    Codeine plays holy hell with my IBS but it's the only drug which works on my migraines...

Does anyone else get similar pains with their IBS? Low / almost pelvic cramping on either side. Dull aches in the butt or thighs. Then I'll feel less alone in my weird IBS symptoms club.
    My pain is generally right-sided but sometimes it takes a day off and switches to the left.

Sometimes it feels like a stitch type pain. Other times it's an ache. Or it's cramping.

Sometimes a damn good fart alleviates the pain - as does laying off the Kitkats and popcorn.

I'm stuck to my heat pad as I type this. I also get pelvic pain, sometimes at the same time as the other. I also get aches in my bum and the front of my thighs. It's hard to know where to shove my heat pad sometimes..

Watch the codeine - it will constipate you - and I have noticed that it makes my pain worse, but, as I said, I will end up murdering somebody (possibly Hubs) if I can't control my migraines - so it's the lesser of two evils...

You're certainly not on your own in the weird IBS symptoms club.

Aww thank you so much Nora!

I forget how different our bodies can be with these symptoms. It's a real pain (pardon the pun!) I might get my heat pad on too, a lifesaver!
    I know, codeine meant I went over a week without using the bathroom - wasn't pleasant as you can imagine! But now it's back to relative normality, I didn't even think it would irritate my IBS which makes sense as I always take 1 before bed, no wonder my IBS was unhappy this morning!

Thank you once again, pleasure to have you in the weird symptoms club

Quote Originally Posted by lilysmith123 View Post
    I know, codeine meant I went over a week without using the bathroom - wasn't pleasant as you can imagine!
    I balance up the codeine with upping my magnesium dose because magnesium is a laxative. I was fed up of taking Movicol so I bought some Natural Calm which I mix with a bit of Vimto.

Yes, my ibs pain is more like pelvic pain, on the left side for me. I also get some sciatic nerve pain down my back and hips so it’s never fun when both flare up at the same time. Sometimes hard to tell what exactly is going on down there!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I balance up the codeine with upping my magnesium dose because magnesium is a laxative. I was fed up of taking Movicol so I bought some Natural Calm which I mix with a bit of Vimto.
    Might be even more dynamic if mixed with Vim!! (showing my age here!!)

I don't think your symptoms are weird at all, Lily. Very normal for IBS.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Might be even more dynamic if mixed with Vim!! (showing my age here!!)
    I remember Vim too!

I think my colon would probably benefit from a damn good Vimming lol

Thread Information